Repairing Small 34cm Panasonic TV, blown cap? I think in PSU, Identify please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this blown cap inside of a Panasonic TC-14S10A (Chassis MX-3).

It seems like an easy fix as no other components in it are blown.

Y9swp.jpg

Here is an overview of the mainboard incase you're curious:
m4A7B.jpg

Its 3-pin btw, I just want to know where to get a replacement part from.

bsvQV.jpg

hAAk8.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I don't think it's a capacitor.
The PCB designation next to it suggests it is a diode.
If it's accross the incoming supply lines as it appears to be then it is most likely a varistor or MOV for over voltage protection. As this is a safety related component it would be best to replace it with the same component. Try to get hold of a schematic and parts list to identify it.

I don't think it's a capacitor.
The PCB designation next to it suggests it is a diode.
If it's accross the incoming supply lines as it appears to be then it is most likely a varistor or MOV for over voltage protection. As this is a safety related component it would be best to replace it with the same component. Try to get hold of a schematic and parts list to identify it.

Oh I am a giddy goat, yes it says so right on the board "D814" and one of its legs goes right into the AC side of the bridge rectifier next to it, Leg 1 and Leg 3 go to the BR AC input (Leg 3 goes ontop of the board using jumpers)

And Leg 2 goes to one of the terminals for the demagnetizing coil before coming through that and connecting back into the BR and Leg 3.

And thank goodness for this site: http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_tc-14s10m_tc-21s10m_tc-14s10a.pdf/download.html
^^ Just the user manual though... sigh.

Bingo, MX-3 chassis: http://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_mx-3_chassis_tx-2150t_ts.pdf/download.html

I've downloaded a few manuals from them before.

Hmm, the serviceman has a writeup on this chassis: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30707/article.html

After spending some time checking the main B+ rail, I switched my attention to the other voltage rails and soon found what I was looking for - D835 (MA2560) was short circuit. This was a 56V zener diode, which meant that the output from the power supply must have exceeded 56V - probably because the two electros I had already replaced were faulty.

Nope, thats no help.

hC1l7.jpg

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Ok, now that I can see it's a three legged device, it is part of the degaussing circuit called a PTC which allows a large initial current to flow through the degaussing coil and then lets it decay slowly. Try and get the correct part if you can but, if not, WES components have one that may be OK. Its part number is PTC3.
Give them a call or email with your requirements and they may be able to help.

If I may suggest, there is a local forum with several TV servicemen which may be of use to you.
Try www.austech.info and check out the Electronics section.
Cheers

Last edited:
Ok, now that I can see it's a three legged device, it is part of the degaussing circuit called a PTC which allows a large initial current to flow through the degaussing coil and then lets it decay slowly. Try and get the correct part if you can but, if not, WES components have one that may be OK. Its part number is PTC3.
Give them a call or email with your requirements and they may be able to help.

Yep, thanks..

This is what I just tried showing you but imgur won't work on Firefox 3.6 anymore, they've gone the way of every other image host out there and won't work with partial java scripting enabled anymore.

dzLGi.jpg

thank you :) the microphone and stand are suprisingly cheap on ebay. Mic is an ISK BM-600 and makes voice sound apsolutley beautiful when coupled with an art tube mp studio mic preamp.

A foam spit cover is mandatory for these mics tho, i just took it off for purposes of this photo.

The "tube amp" is actually a cheap hybrid and while looks great frankly sounds terrible :)
PCInw.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.