Classic hardcore music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Got some AKG 540's today, my old 600ohm k141 Monitor ones need some refurbishing....

So I am rediscovering my old collection of various quality music, when all of a sudden I really felt like putting this on:
Power Puff Girls - HARDCORE NOOOOW!!! - YouTube

Quality is horrible, but I really feel all warm and fuzzy when I put on proper hardcore music, not that this is it, but it catches some of the essence.

Hardcore music for me is distortion, nice steady high bpm, generally fast paced synths and as many transitions as possible. Ah... those where the days, I fear my children and wife will die melting if I play some of the tunes I like the most of this music type.

"I'm hardcore nooooooow!"
"You're hardcore!" "Me? aww shucks.:angel: "

Edit:
What does hardcore music mean to you?

Last edited:
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, guess I will have to actually add some music to this thread.

As it seems my collection of cd's with hardcore music have decreased during the last 10 years it is difficult for me to find more on this computer. so here follows a few tunes with no particular link that I like:
Charly Lownoise - A Whole Lot Of Lownoise
Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo - This Bird
NRG - He Never Lost His Hardcore
Grunge - Let Yourself Go

d'n'b/other hardcore:
Enduser - Not so distant drums
Skynet & Stakka - Clockwork
Kraken - Side Effects (Teebee remix)
Underfire vs Negative - Bios-Fear
Generation Dub - Body Snatchers
The Bug Versus The Rootsman Featuring He-Man - Killer

WHERE THE F*** IS MY HARDCORE MUSIC COLLECTION?! All I can find is a huge classic collection,jungle/d'n'b, some funk, breakbeat, old skool hip hop/r'n'b, blues... Everything except what I am looking for right now.

Upon closer consideration, I am of the opinion most any type of music can be hardcore, it depends on the feeling and state of mind the musician projects when playing. Jimi hendrix is/was hardcore.

Last edited:
KMFDM - Krank
KMFDM - Megalomaniac
KMFDM - Juke Joint Jezebel
KMFDM - WW3
KMFDM - Anarchy

Enjoy... Preferably in that order, with a coke.

I've got more 'hardcore' stuff but its generally not as popular as KMFDM is, KMFDM is actually quite timid.

Last edited:
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've got more 'hardcore' stuff but its generally not as popular as KMFDM is, KMFDM is actually quite timid.

Well, that was KMFDM. I am not sure what to say. Like a knife with no edge. It does not sound like anyone in the band have had a rough enough time to actually let it soak through and influence the music.

This is a tune I made on order once when I was going through something a few years back. 1 minute time limit was the only restriction.

KaffiMann - Hardcore by KaffiMann on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Not to bump own stuff or anything, I'd rather not upload it really, not something I think of as good music, or interesting for that matter, it is just the shortest and most likely to be listened through completely. If it feels like you're ears are about to leak blood when playing it really loud, it's because it's meant to, that is what I felt like when I made it, and it was wonderful, I have more hardcore stuff, but it is in my "Not interesting for others" bin, just like this one.

I have the opinion that hardcore music has no genre, it is more about the feeling you try to put into a tune when making it, or you exhibit the feeling by accident. Distortion usually follows because that is what you feel, if you just put distortion in by design and just say random swear words and/or scream throughout the tune it has no meaning. I have tons of music like that KMFDM stuff, you may call it hardcore if you have to place it into a genre, but it sounds like a spoiled pampered kid trying to act rough.

True hardcore or something close to it in this thread please. Not genre restricted. If you have it, do not hide it.

Edit:
Know an artist with violence issues? With mental problems? Someone enjoying true fear? Any one person who hides away in a dark cellar refusing to meet people and thrives upon filth, grinning in the darkness alone? Just to make a point or example rather, these are likely candidates for making hardcore music.

Last edited:
Edit:
Know an artist with violence issues? With mental problems? Someone enjoying true fear? Any one person who hides away in a dark cellar refusing to meet people and thrives upon filth, grinning in the darkness alone? Just to make a point or example rather, these are likely candidates for making hardcore music.

For my first thought Carlo Gesualdo (Prince of Venosa, Count of Consa) perfectly fits for these premises.

Last edited:
For my first thought Carlo Gesualdo (Prince of Venosa, Count of Consa) perfectly fits for these premises.

Very interesting.
Tristis est anima mea
Tribulationem et dolorem

I am no expert, but he does indeed sound mentally distorted. He probably did what he thought was right, being convinced few others could see reality, then he would relish in pain, feeling he truly made up for his choices.

But he still sounds like a coward. His music sounds like excuses (at least the 6-7 I've heard so far). There is no thunder, no backbone.

I think it is interesting also:
BBC News - Creativity 'closely entwined with mental illness'

Gesualdo a coward?
Maybe in his life.
But in his music definitely not.
Gesualdo music is very close to that of my poor soul.
This piece is about me as if:

Carlo Gesualdo - Tristis est anima mea - YouTube

Otherwise I'm a coward.
And I'm not afraid to admit it.

You bring interesting material. Yes, I was thinking about his life. That is what I hear when his music is playing. I try not to listen to the music itself, but how the music compares to states of mind in various situations. Sort of like backtracking. Does it make sense?

I am not calling you a coward, the music is very beautiful, but it is not hardcore, or rather: it is beautiful therefore it is not hardcore. Either/or.

Maybe really hardcore people are too busy making mayhem to create music?

Edit:
From your link: "They were almost twice as likely as the general population to kill themselves." I think maybe even more, suspect hidden numbers here.

Last edited:
Well, that was KMFDM. I am not sure what to say. Like a knife with no edge. It does not sound like anyone in the band have had a rough enough time to actually let it soak through and influence the music.

I have tons of music like that KMFDM stuff, you may call it hardcore if you have to place it into a genre, but it sounds like a spoiled pampered kid trying to act rough..

I actually reach a point of saturation with KMFDM, beyond KMFDM and I don't enjoy it, I suppose your tolerance is higher. I went on a huge bender with this kind of music a few years ago, after that I couldn't listen to it anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SsFG8Pgf5k

Look up "Va - Darkcore 1 - The Freaky **** To Poison Your Mind With"
"Va - Darkcore 2 - The Darkside of the Underground"
"Va - Darkcore 3 - Embrace The Madness"
"Va - Darkcore 4 - The Fusion Of Underground Forces"
"Va - Darkcore 5 - Underground Nutricion For The Paranoid Souls"
"Va - Darkcore 7 - Including Mix by Radium"

And others, do you have those?

Edit:
Maybe what you're looking for isn't hardcore its darkcore.

And yes from your perspective I can see why you would think KMFDM is a spoiled pampered kid trying to act rough but thats exactly their method, and they are a very mature band that I've been following since the mid-90s but they go back even further than that.

Maybe you should've added "seasoned old goat music" to the description instead of just hardcore..

Last edited:
Maybe you should've added "seasoned old goat music" to the description instead of just hardcore..

Hahahah! Sometimes I suspect I was born "seasoned old goat" :-D

I am not so sure about darkcore, those guys usually focus explicitly on distortion. The music itself is usually devoid of any emotion, drum patterns are very simple and have very little aggression. If you take away distortion from darkcore you are left with the backdrop of modern day commercial trance.

... Infected Mushroom ...
...Nailbomb ...
various Japanese noise music
... Godflesh...

i'll dig up some more of my past for you =) might be a bit of fun given my new much more powerful equipment these days

Thank you. If we're talking Infected Mushroom I'd possibly refer to "Dracul", "Classical Mushroom" and the Skazi interpretation of "I wish" is just enough twisted to change the original meaning. Those have more feeling, a lot of the other stuff is too clean or they focus more on the technique they are using than the music.
Nailbomb, focus on depression.
Godflesh, getting there, lacks feeling.

Try this at some volume, tell me what you think. Just a mood setter really.
KaffiMann - Lurking Evil by KaffiMann on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Converter - Conqueror - YouTube
Converter - Coma - YouTube

Also check out Converter - Cannibals (Not available on youtube)

Very interesting.
Industrial, but interesting.

Edit:
I guess the point of this thread is actually finding hardcore music, which is proving difficult it seems.

Edit2:
I would possibly suggest
Rammstein - Engel
As being hardcore, it feels a bit cliché to recommend Rammstein since they are so popular. But popularity is not a subject in this thread.

Last edited:
Edit2:
I would possibly suggest
Rammstein - Engel
As being hardcore, it feels a bit cliché to recommend Rammstein since they are so popular. But popularity is not a subject in this thread.

Indeed, feeling ashamed of something is immature. I do consider Rammstein to be pretty awesome.

Have you heard Björk - Army Of Me - YouTube

I suppose you have by now.

Last edited:
Here the term hardcore is associated with punk rock.

List of hardcore punk bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Youtube up some G G Allin, don't say I didn't warn you.

love Rammstein (Riese Riese), who cares if it was popular.

indeed, I was just about to move to that territory, Black Flag, Big Black (primarily the 'songs about f%cking'), Devo =), Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies for a bit of Skater Punk, Dead Kennedies, Ruffneck, Husker Du, The Jon Spenser Blues Explosion, some Daft Punk, early Killing Joke, Ministry (the mind is a terrible thing to taste, the land of rape and honey, or Filth Pig), Lard, Revolting c0cks, Skinny Puppy, Fudge Tunnel, Mudhoney, Mudvayne, MotorHead, hmm Primus (bit too funky for what you have in mind) very Early Sonic Youth, Carcass, Atari Teenage Riot, Pop Will Eat Itself

Seasoned old Goat is right =P

Last edited:
Do note that it is just meant as an adjustment of sorts, to set your mind to such a state that you want to listen to darker/harder music. Works for me and some friends, but I am curious about what others think. Not concerned about the quality, it's not a great tune or anything.

Edit:
It's not that I'm embarassed/ashamed about liking Rammstein. It's more that I do not like recommending popular music. There are so many great artists out there that deserve more attention than the few popular ones.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.