SOZ PSU & Fairchild MOSFET

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
SOZ PSU & Fairchild MOSFET

Although some have dissuaded me not to do the SOZ as first time build, my previous experiences lead me to believe that i'm capable, and I feel pretty confident that I can tackle this project. Plus once I make my mind up there is little one can do to deter.
But some of the terminology is eluding me.
I plan on building dual monoblocks @ 35-40 w/each.
Would a Piltron 1500V with 50V dual secondaries @ 13A be sufficient? Or do i need one secondary. The exact model is #12703320. I am assuming i need it to be center tapped if dual secondary. Maybe 60 V secondaries? For capacitors i'm looking at 4 @ 47000 uF a piece, is this ideal? For the Mosfet I would like to use the Fairchild FQA70N15. The voltage is rated at 150V vs. the IRFP244's 250V, is voltage difference ok, and does anyone have any experience with this type of Fairchild MOSFET? As in Mark Finnis's SOZ he modified the circuit for dual FETs on each limb of the circuit, I like this idea, and since its proven and approved by Nelson Pass himself (Mark Finnis's SOZ) I would like to implement it. I am assuming this adds durability and redundancy to the circuit. I know i have to tackle such things as ridiculous sized heatsinks, the right choke, thermistors etc. With my limited audio knowledge i've been picking up information about circuit intracacies along the way to help me better understand the whole process. Slapping something together hastily and plugging it in is not what I have in mind, so I strive to learn. Although sometimes running around like a mad scientist can be fun, i'd like to eliminate the possibility of severe financial burden and build this thing correct before a penny is spent.

John Hepple

Attachments

• soz_modified_circuit.gif
    soz_modified_circuit.gif
    13 KB · Views: 652
too terrible

50vac secondary is too high for 30-40w/soz . I think you only need 36vac to get 50vDC. if you want to build 40w soz , the soz will dissipate 1000w for one channel ,so your transformer 1500w
wiil be small .above 2000w be better for one channel. by the way,
you will need 70kg heatsink for soz without fan . .:eek:

John,

Have you considered the Zen Lite as your project. This Son of Zen amplifier is costly to build because the high power resistors are expensive and must have a heat sink. The Zen Lite uses normal incandesent light bulbs as the high power resistors and do not require heat sinking. If that does not suit your taste maybe the Penultimate Zen would be a good start. I am building one right now. The boards are available from Pass Labs for $50 and are of extremely high quality. The parts are much less expensive and the power supply does not have to be near as hefty. I am enjoying building the Penultimate Zen. I will post some pics soon. My next project will be an Aleph 5 or lower power Aleph X. I am pretty new at the DIY stuff and I have found that it is a good vehicle for me to keep my skills sharp having gotten my EE degree over 25 years ago. I am in awe at some of the stuff the guys on here have built. If my Penultimate Zen turns out half as good as some of the projects posted here I will consider it a success. Best of luck to you.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
took me long enough!

rails sit ~30V. Signal is balanced from a DRV134, sounds excellent. I can keep my hands on the heatsinks indefinitely.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    619.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    619.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice use of 100,000uF caps.
I agree!

Each chassis is dissipating roughly 330W. Each chassis consists of 4 12"Hx9.75"W heatsinks. 3 heatsinks each have an 8R, and 24R flat pack 100W resistor attached. The fourth has the fets and the 1R resistors. This way all four heatsinks sit at the same temps, roughly ~83-86Watts dissipated each. Still need to put the wood fascia and back plate on one chassis. Its a perfect match for my Cornscala's, which can be bi-amped. A40 on the bottom, SOZ for the mid/hi is the plan. I can listen to this for awhile, then of course X-SOZ, SOX etc. Still need to finish the XCCS-BOSOZ, its just bare PCB's from Kari's GB ages ago at the moment. Thank you Nelson!!

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.