more bass!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, so here is the deal. first off, im crazy. currently i have a deftech sub (its a special order piece), its 1800 watts, 1x 14" active , 2x passive radiators. goes down to 12hz, and will do 110dB+ at 20hz. but its not enough. sure, ive broken things already, and set off people's car alarms, but i still want more. :devilr:

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat? mine blends perfectly with my maggies (most people think the maggies are producting all that bass, because the cube is kinda small and not out in the open). i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?

cowanrg said:
ok, so here is the deal. first off, im crazy. currently i have a deftech sub (its a special order piece), its 1800 watts, 1x 14" active , 2x passive radiators. goes down to 12hz, and will do 110dB+ at 20hz. but its not enough. sure, ive broken things already, and set off people's car alarms, but i still want more. :devilr:

ive been looking at the labhorn, but on the frequency response, it doesnt look like it does that much, and it looks like its not very flat? mine blends perfectly with my maggies (most people think the maggies are producting all that bass, because the cube is kinda small and not out in the open). i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?

where did you get this sub?! :bigeyes:

i dont think they charge THAT much... (granted i dont pay their full price, but still). i think they make some decent stuff. you really cant beat their stuff for HT use.

yeah, i agree it probably cant do 11hz, BUT, i know it can do sub 20hz tones. i have a few cds that have bass notes i CANT hear, but it shakes everything. does it go down to 11hz? i guess ill have to use a test tone to find out.

cowanrg said:
i guess i could do two labhorns, but will it be more?

Depending on EQ, the structural integrity and how you load them in the room, 2 will do 20-25Hz but at a tiny fraction of the distortion, much more level capability and with considerably more 'ease' than a 14" driver stroking it's guts out. 20Hz at 30% THD sounds like a big WOFTAM to me.

The other thing to consider is that most people, when hearing horn bass properly for the first time, think it sounds 'thin' because of the lack of THD. If it's just some sort of sound effect you're after, buy another squeezebox sub.

How about this article in this month's AudioXpress (Nov 2003, Vol 34, Issue 11)...It talks about feedback from a DVC whilst using 1 voice coil for driving the sub and the other as a feedback sensor. I have to say that the extensive measurements in the article are really quite impressive and I am thinking about all sorts of variations! I'm looking for nice 6.5"-8" DVC to partner with an Adire DPL12 and Visaton MHT12. :devilr: Maybe a HiVi D8.8+ would do the job...:xeye:

Anyway, bass response was down to 20Hz (perfectly flat response) using a peerless 8" DVC!!!

Also, the circuit accounts for under/over sized boxes. Basically, it takes out the "precise" from speaker building.

Can't wait to start mine!

Gaz

Rarkov said:
How about this article in this month's AudioXpress (Nov 2003, Vol 34, Issue 11)...It talks about feedback from a DVC whilst using 1 voice coil for driving the sub and the other as a feedback sensor. I have to say that the extensive measurements in the article are really quite impressive and I am thinking about all sorts of variations! I'm looking for nice 6.5"-8" DVC to partner with an Adire DPL12 and Visaton MHT12. :devilr: Maybe a HiVi D8.8+ would do the job...:xeye:

Anyway, bass response was down to 20Hz (perfectly flat response) using a peerless 8" DVC!!!

Also, the circuit accounts for under/over sized boxes. Basically, it takes out the "precise" from speaker building.

Can't wait to start mine!

Gaz

do you have a scanner/digital camera? if so, couyld you scan/take pictures of the article and send them to me at matttcattt@yahoo.co.uk ? thank you very much

Time to wipe the drool off with your sleave and come back down to earth

All this banter about flat to DC (only slight exageration) Let's look at the possibilities. Ripping off a formula to calculate spl here we go....

SPL=-86+40logf+40logD+20logApp

f= frequency in hz
D= diameter in millimeters (25.4 mm/inch)
App= peak to peak excursion in millimeters

This will tell you how loud you can possible go.
Now for the bad news.
Ever hear about fletcher and munson????

These duudes figured out roughly how loud something has to be so that we can hear it.
20hz = 90db at our hearing threshold.
16hz = 100 agian loud enough to hear it.

Do the math and use real x-max #'s and see what you really get.

There are ways to get more for less ie. horn loading. But in my experience you get only 10db and that is above the cutoff frequency of your horn.

Food for thought in LARGE bites.

Mark

Rarkov, if you do go about scanning the article, if you don't mind could you send a copy my way? JoeBob@(nospam)videotron.ca

I've got a DVC motion feedback setup going and it indeed sounds great, I'm running a 12" woofer in an open baffle with EQ and the motion feedback, sounds exceptional for a rather cheap driver...

sure, let me get some pictures. i have a digital, but its crap, so you might have to use your imagination. its a very modest system, but it sounds good. my weakest link is definately my amplification/preamp. im using a yamaha receiver right now (which surprisingly works well), but it will be replaced with a rotel or B&K pre/pro, and the alephs in my icon. all in due time, im just a poor college student!

here is the system rundown:

sources:

kenwood sirius satellite radio
NEC SCSI cd transport
Denon DVD-2200 dvd/dvda/sacd/cd

amplification/processing:

yamaha rx-v1300 (110x6)
3-channel gainclone (still in progress)
fosgate audionics M60 (60w monoblock for transducers)

speakers:

fronts: magnepan 1.6QR
rears: psb image 4T (soon to be maggie MG12's)
center: psb image 8c
4x bass transducers in floor boards
definitive technology supercube reference

cables:

synergistic research mark II speaker cable (fronts)
audioquest cv4 (rears and center)
synergistic research audio 2000 interconnects for SACD/DVDA
audioquest YIQ-1 component cable
audioquest VSD-1 composite cables
virtual dynamics basic power cord
signal power power cable
tara labs space and time bi-wire (fronts)

this is a view from the second floor looking down.

Attachments

• system1.jpg
    system1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 484
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.