EL70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like EL70 drivers are no longer available... Is there any driver which would sound good in a bipole with EL70en? (I have been planning to build Coniston^2 bipole BVR's and have already gotten my tricked-out front-facing drivers from Dave... unfortunately, it looks like it is now impossible to get regular ones?)

It wasn't discontinued per se. It was a one-off batch of drivers built by Mark Audio for Creative Sound Solutions. CSS are more involved with multiway systems now than they were when the driver was designed a few years back, so they haven't pursued it any further, and I imagine MA have refrained from launching a direct equivalent to avoid clashing with the existing driver in the market place. Possibly a future generation CHP-70 will be closer to the EL-70, but MA are a very small manufacturer and will probably have to carefully balance where they allocate product development funds, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What Scott said, plus the EL70 introduction was poorly timed, being right in the midst of the current economic slump, before Mark Audio had gained a reputation, and with many not realizing it was a MA product. It took the 1st 1,000 units for it to gain its street cred. At that point only 200 unts remained, and CSS was on to other things.

dave

Nonsense. Please post your technical data explaining what 'more natural' means, what 'soundstage' means, and why this should automatically be superior with paper in some currently unspecified way. Also please state which paper formulations and alloy types out of the infinite possible number of both you are refering to, and the nature of the comparisons made. I assume all possible variables were tightly controlled (inclusive of the total moving mass) in your comparative testing, to ensure only the one changed, per the most basic scientific methodology.

Presumably you are aware that all wideband drivers are in breakup (i.e. oscillation rather than pistonic action) for the majority of their operating BW? That's how they produce HF. Same goes for tweeters as it happens.

Come on. Think. Cone profile, material properties in stiffness, weight, microresonant behaviour, suspension compliance, magnetic strenth in the VC gap, electromechanical damping. These all play a critical function in what a driver behaves and sounds like. You can't just come out with generic statement like 'paper cones are better than metal cones' or 'paper cones sound like this, and metal cones sound like that.' Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. Would that driver design was that simple. If it were, we'd all be doing it. But it isn't. And we're not.

Last edited:
I mean to say that I personally prefer paper over metal. Anyone can PM me to see my frequency response and harmonic distortion measurements, but I won't post them. I just enjoy my MA speakers and have nothing to prove.

MA already has the technology (good paper cones and motors) so it is only a matter of time.

Pretty much, one needs only to research what the pioneers of audio, spearheaded by Bell Labs, concluded to most accurately reproduce all types of sound, especially human speech, singing and it wasn't paper. When they began using paper to minimize cost in mass production, the paper composition and treatment was designed to mimic the preferred materials as close as practical.

GM

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Dave,

(First of all, hello! It has been about a year since I have been here and that is all down to you, Chris and a few others guiding me through my Castle microTower build. I have been in audio bliss ever since!)

My question is, do you still have a few virgin EL70s available?

Mine are still running great, but I know they will not live forever. I'd like to have a backup pair (or more)...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.