$43000 "hi-end" DAC vs $50 consumer audio dac ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This all optioned up "hi-end" DAC sells for $43,000 yet measures poorly compared to a well implemented version of the ESS9018 sabre dac. What is even more bazaar is the vendor of this "hi-end" dac slags off the sabre dac as being a mere "consumer grade" dac whatever that means !! But ironically this "consumer grade" dac is being used in the Weiss DAC202 DAC which sells for around 7K and which runs rings around it in the measurement stakes and dare I say it, in the subjective stakes as well !!

Go figure !!

MSB Technology Platinuum DAC

MSB Technology Platinum Data CD IV transport & Diamond DAC IV & D/A converter Measurements | Stereophile.com

Weiss DAC202

Weiss DAC202 FireWire D/A converter Measurements | Stereophile.com

It's just too bad that most of us here on diy can't afford a 43K hi-end dac. We'll just have to settle for a $50 consumer grade dac ;)

It's just too bad that most of us here on diy can't afford a 43K hi-end dac. We'll just have to settle for a $50 consumer grade dac

Just as someone in the DIY Audio community might prefer handmade Duelund VSFCu-Paper In Oil/CAST capacitor over a mass produced Wima capacitor for their DIY project, or an old coat hanger versus hand braided interconnects who is to say? Someone might make their own FETs starting from a bucket of sand and sell them to any DIY'er who wants to buy it. Who cares? It's their money. There is a market for everything and this is what keeps an free market economy moving.

With the many choices one faces here, DIY Audio isn't a an overly inexpensive hobby either. Depending on how one wants to spend their grocery money or kid's University fund, I am pretty sure most of us can afford a $43k DAC (and the $50 consumer DAC for that matter), and the same person who can afford it, makes it a matter of their choice. Congratulations to them, I hope that they are happy with their purchase.

Personally, I am just glad that there is a choice out there (and I wish I were the one selling this DAC to them).

Just as someone in the DIY Audio community might prefer handmade Duelund VSFCu-Paper In Oil/CAST capacitor over a mass produced Wima capacitor for their DIY project, or an old coat hanger versus hand braided interconnects who is to say? Someone might make their own FETs starting from a bucket of sand and sell them to any DIY'er who wants to buy it. Who cares? It's their money. There is a market for everything and this is what keeps an free market economy moving.

With the many choices one faces here, DIY Audio isn't a an overly inexpensive hobby either. Depending on how one wants to spend their grocery money or kid's University fund, I am pretty sure most of us can afford a $43k DAC (and the $50 consumer DAC for that matter), and the same person who can afford it, makes it a matter of their choice. Congratulations to them, I hope that they are happy with their purchase.

Personally, I am just glad that there is a choice out there (and I wish I were the one selling this DAC to them).

What about when vendors of hi-end equipment have to resort to mud-slinging and down right misleading comments such as this !! I think people have a right to be informed no matter how much someone is willing to spend on equipment.

What about 32 bit DACs

A DAC is a circuit that converts digital measures of audio amplitude in discrete steps into a continuous analog electrical equivalent of the sound to be reproduced. We have been taught to associate the number of bits in that digital word with the quality of the calculation, but the rate of the converter also comes into play. If we do conversion at 16 bits, 48,000 times per second, it is not the same as doing conversion at 16 bits and 96,000 times per second. Along comes 1 bit DACs and SACD that convert at a much higher rates and the whole idea of performance and bit depth falls apart. But in a ladder DAC like MSB uses, the performance of the DAC is directly linked to the precision of the ladder, and the number of bits in that ladder are critical.

MSB has been shipping a true 24 bit DAC for many years, and now has produced a true 26 bit DAC in the Diamond DAC IV. But we are now facing bold product claims about a new 32 bit DAC availible, namely the Sabre 32 DAC chip. This is a DAC chip just like any other from Burr Brown, AKM or Analog Devices. Lets look a little deeper to avoid any confusion about what this DAC actually is.

Here is what their web site says. “The advantage of using this 32-bit process to reconstruct a 16-bit digital signal (i.e. Redbook CD) is simple; This process interpolates the digital information more accurately by calculating the finer steps with 32-bit resolution that were lost during the analog-to-digital 16-bit mastering process. “

Notice that they use the word “process “ not DAC. Notice they talk about “reconstruct “ and “interpolate “ - both digital terms, not analog conversion. All this is saying is that they are using a digital filter with “32 bit resolution “ to do their math. Big Yawn.

The DAC in question is the Sabre DAC with a retail price of $39. According to the ESS web site, this DAC is designed to bring “true professional digital audio to the mass consumer home entertainment market “.

Lets look at the Sabre Datasheet. Input resolution is 32 bit. Digital filter: 32 bit architecture. Thats all it has to say except it has a THD of -110 dB. So what is the DAC technology? They do not even say!

We dig deeper and find a White Paper. Ah, it is a delta sigma DAC just like everyone else's. Then we find this quote. “After all the DSP and complex noise shaping of the signal is complete the digital number must be converted to an analog output. In principle the typically six bit number may be applied to a six bit DAC and the analog output is produced. “

So the hot new 32 bit DAC is actually a 6 bit DAC! Right from their own white paper. It is undoubtably a good DAC for the mass consumer market it was designed for. It is certainly nothing of interest to the high-end community, especially as the the DAC, digital filter and sample rate converter that cannot be dissabled are all bundled in a single chip so no opportunity exists to improve its performance.

So be informed and do not be fooled by the over-the-top advertising made by the audio companies who actually use this $39 chip.

What about when vendors of hi-end equipment have to resort to mud-slinging and down right misleading comments such as this !! I think people have a right to be informed no matter how much someone is willing to spend on equipment.

What about it? Even if given the facts that cut through the mud slinging, misleading comments, and advertising, I am not going to police thier actions or beat myself up because someone wants to say something. Like the Dude says, "That's just like, your opinion, man."

I trust that smart people can separate the lies from the truths and make their own balanced and informed decisions.

Now I don't argue that all the people have the right to be informed... only one thing will remain a true constant; there is a portion of the population who will believe what they want to believe and shovel money towards it (though usually up here we call it, "an election year").

What about it? Even if given the facts that cut through the mud slinging, misleading comments, and advertising, I am not going to police thier actions or beat myself up because someone wants to say something. Like the Dude says, "That's just like, your opinion, man."

I trust that smart people can separate the lies from the truths and make their own balanced and informed decisions.

Now I don't argue that all the people have the right to be informed... only one thing will remain a true constant; there is a portion of the population who will believe what they want to believe and shovel money towards it (though usually up here we call it, "an election year").

I've saved a lot of money over the years by informing myself before I make a purchase. My first point of call is the internet. Hopefully someone already owns what I am interested in buying and their feedback whether it be positive or negative goes to some length in helping me make a decision before I do my money.

Surely you're not going to tell me that you are going to get an unbiased and objective opinion from a vendor or salesmen ?? Good luck if you believe that.

Honestly, the dudes flogging this gear would give PT Barnum a run for his money !!

What is even more bazaar is the vendor of this "hi-end" dac slags off the sabre dac as being a mere "consumer grade" dac whatever that means !!

I for one can't resist appreciating the irony here. They slag off ESS for being 'only' a 6 bit DAC (true enough as far as it goes) but claim their DAC is a 'true 26 bit DAC' - which the Stereophile measurements you linked to clearly demonstrate is a porky:

All the traces are showing is the level of the 16-bit dither noise; increasing the bit depth to 24 drops the noise floor by an extraordinary 27dB or so. This implies a resolution of close to 21 bits...

So 'true 26 bit DAC' in MSB marketing parlance actually translates in engineering speak to 'almost a 21 bit DAC' :D

<edit> Have you done the subjective comparison with the Weiss yourself or heard about someone who has? I'd be interested in their findings.

Last edited:
I for one can't resist appreciating the irony here. They slag off ESS for being 'only' a 6 bit DAC (true enough as far as it goes) but claim their DAC is a 'true 26 bit DAC' - which the Stereophile measurements you linked to clearly demonstrate is a porky:

All the traces are showing is the level of the 16-bit dither noise; increasing the bit depth to 24 drops the noise floor by an extraordinary 27dB or so. This implies a resolution of close to 21 bits...

So 'true 26 bit DAC' in MSB marketing parlance actually translates in engineering speak to 'almost a 21 bit DAC' :D

<edit> Have you done the subjective comparison with the Weiss yourself or heard about someone who has? I'd be interested in their findings.

So the ESS is only a 6 bit dac but measures significantly better than their 26 bit ladder dac !! What does that say about their dac ?? :D LOL

Yes I know someone who had access to a Weiss dac but the unit was faulty so couldn't do any valid measurements :(

The intermodulation results in the Stereophile measurements report speak volumes about their 'true 26 (but somewhere it says there are 4 such DACs inside which mean its actually 27) bit DAC'. Their digital filter no.3 is a complete joke, but beyond that even with a proper filter the intermod performance sucks big-time for such a high priced DAC.

I've saved a lot of money over the years by informing myself before I make a purchase. My first point of call is the internet. Hopefully someone already owns what I am interested in buying and their feedback whether it be positive or negative goes to some length in helping me make a decision before I do my money.

Surely you're not going to tell me that you are going to get an unbiased and objective opinion from a vendor or salesmen ?? Good luck if you believe that.

Honestly, the dudes flogging this gear would give PT Barnum a run for his money !!

See that is the great thing right there, I never said I would or wouldn't get information, opinions, and reviews from others. I said something about smart people, something about the right to be informed, something about free markets, and something about people still being ignorant in the face of facts and lies (okay, not exactly in those words, but I hope you know what I mean).

At $43,000, I personally would tend to be more careful if it is something that I can fit into a backpack. Without the reviews, I probably wouldn't because I don't believe I would be that gullible and/or profligate (my threshold on spending on a DAC is a lower). But with that said, there are others who don't care about the opinions, facts, or reviews -- they got money to burn and you can't argue with that.

I just like the free market economy and if someone wants to spend money on a $43,000 piece of audio jewelry... well they want to spend $43,000.

Phineas Taylor Barnum, wanted to get rich and by most accounts he did get rich -- he was the king of the circus. People beat down his door to get in on the action of mermaids, bearded ladies, and other oddities of nature. Mermaids don't exist and you can tell everyone, but people will still pay up to see and experience it. PT was also a philanthropist, I've been to Tufts and I got to say, not bad for a University.

+1 for the choice but seriously you could hold up your head in public with such poor measurements at the price?

w.r.t. to the holding my head up in public, measurements, price... with my conscience, most likely not (I could not make it as an evangelist, politician, or lawyer).

However, I would like to give it a try but with either a reasonable price (with equally reasonable and logical markup) or better output (to justify the price it had better have some gold and platinum in it), just to see because everyone has start somewhere.

In the conclusion of the Stereophile review ...

The MSB stack gave me the best digital sound I've ever heard in my system. I know it's a cliché, but I was digging out music from all corners of my collection, just to hear it "real" before the MSBs had to go back. The best recordings were a sheer pleasure to listen to. I spent many long nights going from track to track, feeling closer to the truth of each recording than I had previously imagined possible.

The Diamond DAC IV runs hot and it costs a lot, but I'm unashamedly enthusiastic for products from companies like MSB, which push what technology can do in the service of beautiful music, which in turn makes life that much more worth living.
That's what the $43,000 delivers ... so is the buyer going to be the slightest bit concerned about the minor lapses in some measurements? From my POV, the key thing is that a hell of the seemingly minor, subtle, quality destroying issues seem to have been addressed, through one means or another, and that's really what this unit delivers. Yes, it shouldn't take that amount of money to get that quality of sound, but it serves as a proof of concept as to what digital should normally sound like ...

Frank

Aaaah measurements versus the ear :)

They can only teach you so much in school, there is only time enough in school to teach measurements only, then they release the engineers armed with their scopes :) . There is only so much that can be packed in a college course text book :) that is why in times past there were apprenticeships so that the professional could pass on the secrets of the trade to his chosen one or ones

Last edited:
That's what the $43,000 delivers ... so is the buyer going to be the slightest bit concerned about the minor lapses in some measurements?

Obviously not or they'd not be the buyer :) But I reckon a few potential buyers would be put off (I'm not a potential buyer myself). If I were in the market for this DAC I'd also be put off that there's not really very much clear water in the subjective review between this DAC and the (over 20dB cheaper) Ayre QB9.

From my POV, the key thing is that a hell of the seemingly minor, subtle, quality destroying issues seem to have been addressed, through one means or another, and that's really what this unit delivers. Yes, it shouldn't take that amount of money to get that quality of sound, but it serves as a proof of concept as to what digital should normally sound like ...

Yep, agreed. I plan for my own design to deliver better IMD measurements and at least equal sound at a much lower price-point. A guy's gotta dream right? :D

Aaaah measurements versus the ear :)

They can only teach you so much in school, there is only time enough in school to teach measurements only, then they release the engineers armed with their scopes :) . There is only so much that can be packed in a college course text book :) that is why in times past there were apprenticeships so that the professional could pass on the secrets of the trade to his chosen one or ones

That is nonsense.

The problem is the claims made by msb are of a technical nature and how they relate to sound quality. The issue is the technical claims don't stack up against the measured performance and therefore can't be as good as what they make them out to be.

For example their $10K Femto clock upgrade included in the review is supposed to reduce jitter (an engineering spec that can be measured) more than anyone else's clock and yet the $50 consumer grade sabre dac in the Weiss runs rings around them in terms of measured performance. According to msb's own words this should translate into better sound quality because reduced jitter is better isn't it ;)

forget the subjective vs objective waffle, never gets anywhere; but if someone is going to sell a 43K dac and call it the Elite Super Platinum Reference shiny 'True 26bit DAC', it just better deliver 26bits… which it clearly doesnt, along with some worrying other IMD effects, weird digital filter choices and spurious PSU noise. Seriously a less than perfectly clean PSU on a completely separate 2 box 43K dac is beyond stupid.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.