USB Soundcard for measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My old FastTrack Pro has stopped working. Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent quality USB soundcard for measurement use? Budget is that I'd like to spend as little as possible, but I am willing to spend a little more if the quality justifies it. I already have spdif output, and do not need spdif input in the foreseeable future, so I only need analog connectors.

I have Audiophile 192 and for mesurament purposes is prety noisy being internal PCI
big bump at mains frequency probably due to my set up

So I am looking as well
EMU 0202 came up as with low noise -125 dB but after making the mistake with the Audiophile I need same help

I got told that EMU drivers are a pain to install

So sorry to hi jack this tread, but if any is using sound card for test rig let me know please

After posting last night I had another look at my set up.

I found the source of the mains bump which was caused by the PC monitor after I unploughed those this is what I have

I/O connected with Loop back
Signal generator off.
Pink noise
at -10dB

I still wonder if an external sound card like E-MU 0202 can do better?

Attachments

• Audiophile noise.PDF
    174.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Audiophile noise0001.PDF
    177.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Looking at the E-MU boxes myself, they seem like a good deal for basic measurement needs. Any owners here who could give some feedback on these units?

100 % with this so please help

E-MU 0202 is the one I am tempted to buy as sems that noise level is about
-125dB

Only snag I have been told are Creative Labs Drivers problems.

Any sound card that can do better on noise?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
M-audio Transit.

Attachments

• M-audio Transit spectrum.jpg
    M-audio Transit spectrum.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 673
I am currently using an M-Audio Firewire 410. It's an external box with Firewire connection to the computer and its own wall wart PS. Noise floor falls from -120 dBFS at the lowest frequencies to -140dB FS at the highest frequencies. Max sampling rate is 96k Hz. It also has a built in mic preamp with defeatable phantom power. They are discontinued, but you can pick them up on Ebay for easily under $100.

The newer option is the ProFire 610. Mostly the same, but sampling rate up to 192k Hz. This goes for about $250 I think.

See attached pic of noise floor. This is done using REW:
REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page

-Charlie

Attachments

• measurement noise floor.jpg
    measurement noise floor.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
I have an E-MU 0204 and MI software and can measure down to 0.0003% distortion (without notch filters). Must use the balanced input to avoid earth loop noise even tho earth lift switches are part of the unit. For $230 odd dollars all up its a very effective solution for relative measurements.

Doug, I can loan you a EMU 0404 USB, which in my opinion is the best choice. How can you beat try before you buy?

I may take you up on that. I actually owned one for a week or so before I returned it. I recall there being a driver issue with it -- something like asio being required for using the digital output, but the free version of RMAA not supporting asio. But, I could certainly try it again as my current computer setup uses a different spdif output allowing me to work around that.

In the meantime, I picked up an M-Audio "MobilePre" that was on a huge sale and thus pretty cheap. Even cheap, it was probably not worth what I paid for it.

Ahh yes its disguised as a 1/4 inch socket at first glance. It’s actually a combo XLR / 1/4 inch. It's definitely there :)

Specs:
Combo Preamplifiers (2)

Type:
- (1) Ultra-low noise combo preamplifier with Mic/Hi-Z/line inputs

- (1) Combo preamplifier with Hi-Z/line balanced input

- (1) 1/8" condenser mic input with 5V power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.