Upgrading ICs in headphone amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Waste of time and money. Unless the amplifier was designed incorrectly in the first place and is not meeting the requirements of the op-amp; it is unlikely that the performance would increase.

If you are going to:
-Measure the before and after performance with test equipment.
-Modify the amplifier to the requirements of the new op-amp.
-Use a proper audio op-amp and not one designed for something else.

Then you may be able to net a performance increase but at that point you had might as well just design your own amplifier.

If it sounds different after you changed the op-amp it will be because:
A)The amplifier incompatible with the original op-amp
B)The new op-amp is more compatible than the old op-amp
C)You think it sounds different when it really doesn't (NOTE: the above two are more likely in this circumstance).

So again, waste of time and money.

Waste of time and money. Unless the amplifier was designed incorrectly in the first place and is not meeting the requirements of the op-amp; it is unlikely that the performance would increase.

If you are going to:
-Measure the before and after performance with test equipment.
-Modify the amplifier to the requirements of the new op-amp.
-Use a proper audio op-amp and not one designed for something else.

Then you may be able to net a performance increase but at that point you had might as well just design your own amplifier.

If it sounds different after you ch
jDKSas62K6zteCXln1gNY4miFJnyZKfyLhT62Grp+983ycAOw==
anged the op-amp it will be because:
A)The amplifier incompatible with the original op-amp
C)You think it sounds different when it really doesn't (NOTE: the above two are more likely in this circumstance).

So again, waste of time and money.
I know you are just towing the party line, but this is rather incomplete and one line didnt fit your conclusion, but you simply ignored that and made it fit.

which can relate to fitting the amp, or the headphone load better, how pray tell would that be a waste of time and money? sorry but this is most certainly not a perfect model of a world we live in, design mistakes, as well as unexpected load interactions can and do happen. your model for reality is flawed (oversimplified) and thus useless

a simple CMOY is never going to meet your expected model, but youre correct, while you may make some changes by choosing a better opamp for it, it would be better to just choose a properly designed amp and build it

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
the TLE2072 is nothing more then a slightly quieter tl072 they sound the same they can be pleasing in the right circuit but nothing amazing

Not so :)

There are many differences. The TLE2072 has a -/+ 80ma output capability (per opamp in the dual package) which puts it way ahead of the competition.
Slew rate of around 35V/us, a wider operating voltage range.......

Maybe I should change the thread to extreme chip rolling, I am on limited budget so I take time to get around to these thing, just got a small tax refund so went for 3 options and thought I'd ask the question, original ic was a 353 in the Cmoy kit, can't remember what was in the Oatley, but the Oatley sounds better with the AD823 and the Cmoy better with the 2134......... so far

These are my 414s

HD414 50th Anniversary Edition

Released in 1995 to the 50th anniversary of Sennheiser GmbH & Co
[edit]
Technical specifications

Frequency Response: 18-21000 Hz
Type: Dynamic, open
Impedance (Nominal): 52 Ohms
Sound pressure level at 1 kHz: 94 dB +/- 2 dB
THD as per DIN 45500: < 0.9 %
Contact Pressure: ~2.8 N
Weight (without cable): ~80g
Connector: 3.5 or 6.3 mm (1/8" or 1/4") stereo jack plug
Connection cable: Oxygen Free Copper cable, 3m

Last edited:
if I were building an amp for those numbers I would aim for clipping free 120 dB SPL peak drive

thats for dynamic headroom - not for continuous listening, I think the O2 design discussion ends up claiming ~110 dB is adequate so less could be acceptable to some

the 120 dB SPL dynamic peak clipping free goal would require ~ 7 Vpk, 140 mApk - it unlikely any amount of 20 yr old DIP op amp rolling will get you there - you have to choose the few parts or added buffers that can do it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.