most simplest transistor amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay I want to build the most SIMPLEST audio amplifier without any resistors or capacitors
but only using one transistor
(i only have a bunch of varying sized field effect transistors)
but I think it will be the same as any other transistors or extremely similar.
I don't care how BAD the sound is I just care if it actually amplifies the signal a bit

I have the batteries.. the headphone jack input wires that plugs into my computer.. the speaker and the transistor and that's all I want to use for this project. no more no less
can someone show me how to wire each wire to the transistor to make it work?
and without any resistors or capacitors.
I did this once before and it worked
although it sounded very distorted I didn't care about that I only care that it amplifies sounded like guitar amplifier distortion sorta

but I can't remember how I wired it

can someone show me a wiring diagram on how to wire it all together?
I have no skills whatsoever in diagrams.
so a very simple wire to wire diagram would be of much more help.
and no biasing or however you spell it
i just want to use it as a simple as can be amplifier no matter how bad the output quality is

You need resistors to bias the transistor and you need capacitors to block the output DC unless you use a transformer on the output ..... not possible to not use resistors unless your psu supplies the correct biasing voltages ......

You can try it yourself , a transistor only has 3 leads so one is positive , one is negitive and one is the signal input and the output can be taken from either the positive or negitive but more commonly the positive ......

Last edited:
I know a transistor only has 3 leads but I did it one time WITHOUT resistors or capacitors and it did work!
I used it more like a switch than an amplifier
unless you want to explain in detail where every single wire goes to every single connection and how the signal flows from here to there and there to here
and where exactly to place each wire on the end of each lead of the resistor or capacitor or whatever and where to place the wires from those to the other connections and where those connections go..
i cant just know where everything goes you have to explain in detail which wire goes to which lead either it be positive or negative or somewhere in between
and then i have to waste my money going to radio shack to find the exact thing that i need

or you could just say how to make an on and off switch amplifier which makes ten times more sense and is ten times easier i dont care how bad it sounds i just care if it can make a speaker make bigger sound than what comes from the headphone port on my computer.
i dont care if it makes a complete square wave if it will at least work.. then i could go on from there and try to make it sound better...
i'm a total noob at this stuff so don't scream at me for not knowing how to make a simple amplifier..

I know a transistor only has 3 leads but I did it one time WITHOUT resistors or capacitors and it did work!
I used it more like a switch than an amplifier
unless you want to explain in detail where every single wire goes to every single connection and how the signal flows from here to there and there to here
and where exactly to place each wire on the end of each lead of the resistor or capacitor or whatever and where to place the wires from those to the other connections and where those connections go..
i cant just know where everything goes you have to explain in detail which wire goes to which lead either it be positive or negative or somewhere in between
and then i have to waste my money going to radio shack to find the exact thing that i need

or you could just say how to make an on and off switch amplifier which makes ten times more sense and is ten times easier i dont care how bad it sounds i just care if it can make a speaker make bigger sound than what comes from the headphone port on my computer.
i dont care if it makes a complete square wave if it will at least work.. then i could go on from there and try to make it sound better...
i'm a total noob at this stuff so don't scream at me for not knowing how to make a simple amplifier..

check this RealFLow
as minion says
you need resistors to bias the transistor more less in the correct way
check this simple design, it dont have caps but you need some resistors

Chapter 10: Computers and Electronics -- Build a simple 1 watt audio amplifier

I have seen that one before and I have attempted to do it but I failed because I can't figure out where the input wires go exactly and whatnot.
and it's really difficult without some sort of 3D diagram showing which positive or negative wire goes where or which lead goes where

how different are field effect transistors, pnp transistors, and npn transistors? like how do they do the same thing differently..
or how do they do different things?

and again.. I have no clue which lead is positive or negative or some straight wire in between.. (i dont know where they go to the power supply or input or the transistors leads or the output to the speaker.)

in order for me to know how to make an amplifier i need to know a few things first.
one is where the positive and negative wires from the battery
(or power supply) have to go on the correct leads on the transistor

and two I need to know where the positive and negative input wires go and which leads of the transistor they need to go to
and I need to know which leads of the transistor go to get to the speaker
and I need to know the exact polarity of everything and which positive goes where and which negative goes where and which wire goes where and whatnot.

and I just realized how much more I type than anyone else on the forums O_O sorry for that.

Last edited:
There is a diagram (schematic) about half way down the page that maxo suggested.

The input and battery positive and negative connections are shown on that diagram.

The positive input is labeled +input, the negative input is labeled -input.

The battery positive connection (9V in this case) is labeled with + 9 volts.

To connect the correct polarity (positive and negative) to the transistor you need to look at the data sheet of the transistor you are working with. This is a must since they are not all the same.

Learn well

i don't have any packages i scrounged these off of old TV circuit boards and other random circuit board pieces.
I have a couple of them and i'm not sure if they even work or not..
here's the numbers and letters than i can read
different transistors seperated by ()'s

(2SD2599N 0770) biggest one I have and im not sure if that is a D or a 0

(C4458 M 2K4) the M is below the C and the 2K4 is under the 8

(GF 7809A) this one is a little smaller than the second one.

(D2102 301) this one has more readable letters and numbers on it

there was one that i used one time I got it to work as a switch amplifier though it sounded like turd it actually amplified my computers headphone output to way louder volumes but i cant use or find that one anymore
first because one of the leads on it broke off making it useless and now i just cant find it anymore. so i cant find the numbers for that one.
and all of these transistors are way way way bigger than the little tiny ones shown in that tutorial at least 5 or 6 times bigger and one is pretty big

also.. i have no breadboard.. i only use wires to wrap around the leads of the transistor or to other wires.

Last edited:
There is a semiconductor numbering scheme in which the transistor name begins with "2N". This signifies that the device has 2 PN junctions. You'll see diodes numbered with "1N" for the same reason. There's another numbering scheme where letters like "SC" and "SD" are used to better describe the transistor. And sometimes the "2S" is omitted because that just tells you it is bipolar silicon.
So your transistors are 2SD2599N, 2SC4458, and 2SD2102. You'll notice that the 3rd on your list doesn't have that kind of numbering. That part isn't a transistor; it is a 9 volt positive voltage regulator, a 7809.
Enter those numbers into a web search engine and you'll find datasheets. None of them are FETs.

The best thing to do is at least learn somthing .. There is a million and one small amplifier projects on the net. At first learn ohms law and then move on to identifiying diffrent conponents . The resistor color code would be a good place to start.. Anyway good luck with your new found hobby It looks like it will be a long trip..

Regards

i did read the data sheets and it's exactly the help i needed thanks
Happy to hear it.
You'll notice that 2 of the 3 transistors you hold have integrated resistors across the bases and emitters. The resistors are formed right along with the transistors. Keep that in mind when experimenting. And one of those two is a Darlington type, two transistors connected together for extra high gain.

The subwoofer is probably flexing so much because without an output capacitor (to block the DC) the DC is causeing your subwoofer to extrude ....
Audio signals are AC and you run transistors (and most curcuitry) off of DC so usually there is a capacitor to block the DC from getting to your speaker , the DC will slowly but surely ruin your speaker ......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.