Help with FUN science fair project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm helping two sons with a science fair project (7th/9th grade) this fall. We've decided (ok... I've decided) to do a simple project that answers 2 questions. What cabinet design plays the loudest (most efficient) and has the best bass response. The dependant variable will be the MCM 55-2421 driver (only because I need to buy one!). I need help coming up with as many cabinets as I can, within reason. We will build simple, not pretty, cabinets and test outdoors. I'd like 6 or 7 designs, maybe one or two that are a little odd. Maybe a long piece of PVC, cardboard box, or something. I already know the winners but I want my sons to learn for themselves. Here's my list so far.
Cabinets:
Air suspension
Bass reflex (one, maybe two alignments)
Bandpass?
Infinite baffle
Front loaded horn (already have an autotuba I built that needs a new driver)
Tapped horn

What is top end frequency you would suggest for the test?

Please help a dad out!

Jim D.

HTML:
The 55-2421 is not what I would call a flexible driver. How did you kill the one you had?

The surround on the first one separated from the cone after much use in the autotube in my older son's 4 runner.. and one month after the warranty ran out.

HTML:
Is this going to be a single driver full range project?
No, defnitely not a full range project. This is more of a bass/subwoofer project so I'm thinking of 250 hz and lower although I know some of the designs will roll off well below 250 hz. It will not hurt to plot some higher frequency points just to teach.

Jim D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.