New speakers have no WAF - looking for a new design - but what about sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently purchased a set of these which are (as I was told) Mikasa design speakers.

And I have to say they sound amazing, even hooked up to just a normal Marantz amp. Now I can actually hear a difference when playing vinyl compared o MP3.

So, I'm stoked, but yes,... the missus not too impressed.
She has even offered to pay for different cabinets, :)

She quite likes the MK3's and so do I, but my main question is will that make a difference in sound and in what way? Did anybody hear these Mikasa's next to MK3's.

Also I couldn't find one image of the design mine are on the net, I guess most people don't think they look good.

Thanks heaps for your thoughts!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mikasa was released contemperaneously with Saburo, lots of the latter, only 3 other than yours that i know of of Mikasa, Derek Sanderson and GYChang you'll find on the forum, and anothor of solid in Wyoming (which the owner is very stoked about).

Mikasa can get away without room support to get bass, FH3 needs a minimum of near wall placement for bass enhancement -- corners to get down as low as Mikasa (a direct consequence of box size). If that is not enuff, a pair of stealthWoofers added later will take the bass to another level with an appropriate woofer(s)

Above the mass corner the 2 will sound much the same. It is moot, if the one who must be obeyed says FH3, then it is FH3 isn't it? They won't be a hardship :D

dave

Thanks Dave!

Yes the Mikasa's produce quite a bit of bass (relative), but I have a Velodyne CHT12 hooked up as well, so I guess that could work with the FH3.

Indeed, I wont have much of a choice. unless I move them to a different room :)

Looks like I'll have to contact Sound with Style and see if they ship to New Zealand.

Thanks guys!

Frankly, the builder of those must have been colour blind......and they would have changed colour before entering my home.
This is coming from a guy who rides day-glow PINK surfboards.
My girlfriend says they're interesting from a design pov, but utterly gross in colour.

Hahaha, you guys made me laugh.

And I totally agree, the colour is very bad 70's.

There is the option of repainting, I was thinking baby blue and pink. :)

But in the end I'll probably go towards the FH3. I just really hope it sounds the same if not better. This 'design' sounds really good on my system. :)

And Sippy good going surfing in the UK. Freezing,...

And Norman, funny thing is my girl just got a new nice handbag, pretty much same orange as the speakers.

Cheers!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Freezing......
Nah, just a bit nippy. 2/2 or 3/2's in the summer and 5/4/3's in the winter - who needs bath water if your a man?
Or maybe we're (in the UK) men and every one else is wussie?
Votes on postcards addressed to:

I assume like here, you guys are wearing wet suits? (water temp pretty much 4-6 C all year round.

dave

Let's just get over the fact that whether they appreciate the sound, many girlfriends / wives, simply won't like an even very well crafted and finished large loudspeaker enclosure

Choice between big speakers and a soul-mate? sorry, that's not rocket science - there's always headphones

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The true soul mate will give you a room where you can put your monstrosities, err speakers without too much comment.. :D

My wife's only comment upon seeing the 12 cu ft Onken boxes (port and cabinet volume) arrive some years back was "I thought you said they would be smaller than the ones they replaced" but what I had actually said was they would have a smaller footprint which was actually true.

The room in question is in the basement so...

but what I had actually said was they would have a smaller footprint which was actually true.

The room in question is in the basement so...

I see what you did there ;)

but I have to say, honestly, with that orange even I wouldnt let them in the main lounge-room, despite the obvious architectural and sound quality. Perhaps you could try spiking her dinner with magic mushrooms and playing her some rather epic psychedelic rock… she will either love them afterwards, or run screaming from the room in fear they are eating her alive :mischiev:

I wish there was a way to ship the boxes to michigan. My wife said put in your room if people don't see it what do I care. I had to give my dads big sansuis back to my brother after spending over $200.00 to do these speakers. To old, to big and to ugly was my wifes saying. I can build a furgal horn mk3 and big okay but, anything bigger its got to go. A happy wife makes a peaceful home I have learned. Its a team not me or you or I. Well if you can tell me the shipping maybe I will take a stab at it. Thanks jdm.

Tias,
The question I would have for you is do you really need to use the folded horn if you would be happy with a sub-woofer and moving the drivers into a different cabinet. If you really like the sound of the full range speaker and can live without that huge cabinet you could make something much smaller and either work with a wide bandwidth sub or add another larger direct radiator below that speaker to again have a full range system. Are you in love with the bass section of the design or the upper range of the direct radiator, that is the real question here. Your significant other is not going to love those things no matter what color you paint them besides cutting the dry wall out and putting them flush in the wall. Think about what it is about them that makes you happy and then decide what it is you are after.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.