Bought a Mint Technics 1200 Mk2 turntable !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've been looking for the longest time for a mint Technics 1200 MK2 in silver.
Finally someone emailed me last week and said they just got one for sale.
The story goes, the guy who sold it to me works for a local electronics store.
He got the turntable from a local Church, which they didnt need any longer.
The table hasnt been hardly used - I guess they only used it for special occasions or on any given Sunday.. LoL.
Anyways, from the serial number, it looks to be made in 1986.
Like I said this thing is near mint ! I would rank it a 9/10. It has some very minot scratches on the dust cover probably from wiping dust off of it. The table has no nicks anywhere !
It came with an old skool Stanton 500 MKII cartridge.

Anyways, on to some pics. ;-)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some new pics with the Stanton D50e elliptical stylus on.
I have around 50 hours play on it, so its broken in.
The detail on this with Brubeck's Time out is bliss !

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

I hate Brubecks time out , brings back memories of my broken cantilever on Dynavector XX-1 while I was enjoying my Time out with Brubeck and the bottle of red:mad:
Retip costed $350 and I hate the cart after the retip...no Brubeck for me (easier than no bottle of red:D

Last edited:
Anyways, from the serial number, it looks to be made in 1986.
Like I said this thing is near mint ! I would rank it a 9/10. It has some very minot scratches on the dust cover probably from wiping dust off of it.

Congrats! Looks like it just came out of the factory box.:up:

I hate Brubecks time out , brings back memories of my broken cantilever on Dynavector XX-1 while I was enjoying my Time out with Brubeck and the bottle of red:mad:
Retip costed $350 and I hate the cart after the retip...no Brubeck for me (easier than no bottle of red:D

That will teach you not to drink and spin.;)

jeff

I live in Canada. We are not stuuuupid enough to give away stuff like that for free. :eek::hohoho:

:p yep, It wasn't able to keep a high enough speed, so I done some reading and as it turns out a quick and easy fix is to simply re-solder all contacts on the main board and on the motor PCB and walla, works perfect again.

Mine could do with a recapping though, on the as-yet-to-do list!

Congrats the Technics are a great TT. A couple of tips though, I remove the lid completely during playback as it acts like a big ear feeding the music back to the cart smearing the sound. Try this experiment.. Lower the stylus onto the record with the platter stationary and the volume turned up high. Now clap your hands or tap the shelf were the TT is located. What happens is a hum loop starts getting louder and louder. Your clap or tap is collected by the lid and fed into the plinth and then the cart, the sound comes out of the speakers louder repeating the loop louder each time. With music playing this constant looping smears the music. Now try the experiment again with no lid and it is impossible to get the hum loop going even tapping the TT itself.
Your Stanton is an OK cart but the Technics deserves better in the long run.
Great find though your Technics really looks mint!!
Regards
CL

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Congratulations on your find! I recently acquired an SL-1200 as well, I love the 'table. Yours is very clean! It should last you a lifetime. They are great.

A few things -

Yes, look into wall mounts. They are fantastic and solve lots of issues. There is a clear change in sound and performance with a good shelf. A bad one is no better than a flimsy floor stand, however...

The -1200 is very sensitive to platter mats, and the stock rubber one is fairly boring sounding. Play around with different mats, and see what works for you. I am sure, however, that you won't keep the stock one after you have tried some 'good' mats. (Felt, however, sounds awful on it.)

DIY Direct Drive
I have this plan to take a thick billet of aluminum, mount the 1200 bearing and board on it. Cover the lot with suitable wood. Remount the platter, possibly take the black squares of the side first on the lathe. Mount the PSU in a seperate box.
I am doubtful it will make much difference to the sound but it will impress the **** out of my girlfriend. A diy direct drive turntable!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.