Aleph 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Obviously my Aleph 3 runs very hot, but i did notice a little burning smell. I have removed the top cover and it does have some discoloured wires from the heat.... but it does not look like everyone elses Aleph 3. The powersupply caps are not the expected large caps but two banks of 24 small caps. What gives? Does anyone know of an Aleph 3 like this? Also the wiring is untidy and there is insulation tape in places!!

No, its a factory Aleph.

Attachments

• IMG00324-20120807-2004.jpg
    IMG00324-20120807-2004.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 429
I bought it used on Ebay so i assume it has been modified and yes cotton insulation....it looks horrific. It does sound rather good however but considering i have not heard it in its original state its kind of bugging me to reinstate it. What would be the benefit of having many smaller caps as opposed to the standard set up?
Fred

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if caps are good (can you see what type/manufacture are those ? ) , less total ESR - means lower ripple and higher current reserve

but - they need to be cleverly wired , to achieve full potential

in any case - send it to someone who knows his drek , to rewire it completely , change that bridge etc

Looks a proper dogs dinner in there.
As i said, i saw one of this style case at a hifi doo, i dint know what it was other than an amp by Pass - stopped dead in my tracks by the visual alone, didn't hear it playing.
It'll be a device to behold when sorted out.
Lucky you! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.