Take this hearing test..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Frightening how little.. we can actually hear.
IF older than 25 :eek:
TRY this at Home Kids:

Hearing Test - high frequency sounds measure hearing loss
Mosquito Ringtone

Just perhaps.. a driver that goes to 14kHz is ALL one needs
or merely 12kHz ?
I can hear 14k.. sort of.. IF I crank the volume way up :rolleyes:
Reputedly ~ 40% of males can't hear 8000 Hz .. 40db ! down due to everyday occupational effects
Bit scary as this loss accelerates for all of us once past 60.

I'm still good for 18KHz; just about 20KHz but with very rapid drop-off (although we have that anyway via the Fletcher-Munson / Equal Loudness curves -per attached). How much of that is my middling quality headphones & how much HF loss I don't know. I ran the same through some slightly better (or at least, what I know to be accurate) test-tones to confirm. Since I'm male & 34 at the end of next month, rather than a bat-eared 16 year old girl, I suppose that isn't too bad, all things considered.

Attachments

• Equal loundness contours.png
    Equal loundness contours.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Frightening how little.. we can actually hear.
IF older than 25 :eek:
TRY this at Home Kids:

Hearing Test - high frequency sounds measure hearing loss
Mosquito Ringtone

Just perhaps.. a driver that goes to 14kHz is ALL one needs
or merely 12kHz ?
I can hear 14k.. sort of.. IF I crank the volume way up :rolleyes:
Reputedly ~ 40% of males can't hear 8000 Hz .. 40db ! down due to everyday occupational effects
Bit scary as this loss accelerates for all of us once past 60.
I'm past a half century. I have the volume at moderately low, but the 8K is clear. All the others only give a click when they start and stop. I'd be tempted to turn up the volume, but I think if I could hear 14k, the next thing out of my tweeters would be smoke.

For reference, the highest note on a piano (theoretically, at A49=440 with equal temperament and no correction for inharmonicity, meaning it's actually a bit higher) is 4186 Hz, so I can barely hear the 2nd harmonic of the highest note.

As far as a driver's max frequency, I suspect good quality within the audible range requires response that extends substantially beyond audible.

I'm still good for 18KHz; just about 20KHz but with very rapid drop-off (although we have that anyway via the Fletcher-Munson / Equal Loudness curves -per attached). How much of that is my middling quality headphones & how much HF loss I don't know. I ran the same through some slightly better (or at least, what I know to be accurate) test-tones to confirm. Since I'm male & 34 at the end of next month, rather than a bat-eared 16 year old girl, I suppose that isn't too bad, all things considered.

Erm I can Only claim .. ********!.. to that.

TRY it without the "headphones"
I've seen that 'most' 18 yr olds cannot reach 18khz .
SOMETHING is clearly Wrong. Basic Human physiology precludes it. Unless Born on Krypton!
Get your A** to a competent audioligist and perhaps be entered in the Medical Journals OR have your self evaluation laughed at.

Last edited:
Erm I can Only claim .. Bulllshit!.. to that.

TRY it without the "headphones"
I've seen that 'most' 18 yr olds cannot reach 18khz .
SOMETHING is clearly Wrong. Basic Human physiology precludes it. Unless Born on Krypton!
Get your A** to a competent audioligist and perhaps be entered in the Medical Journals OR have your self evaluation laughed at.

You're the only one being laughed at here. Just because something is outside your experience doesn't mean it's not possible.

I'm 62 years old. I can quite clearly hear a tone at 19kHz, in both ears. Just to check, I generated my own tone in audacity. I had to turn the gain up but I could still hear the tone quite distinctly through the hiss, (mostly from the soundcard, not the amp) although it becomes hard to hear after a few seconds exposure.

I can't be 100% sure that the tone is pure 19k without getting out a microphone and running a spectrum analysis on the sound from the IEMs, but I don't think that it's an intermodulation effect. What's it going to intermodulate with? It's just not important enough to me to go to that much trouble. This was just an off-the-cuff test I undertook out of passing curiosity.

I was not surprised when I couldn't hear much above 14k using the over-ear phones, as some previous tests listening to swept tones had led me to think my hearing cut off at about 15k5. It just occurred to me then to try some better transducers. I was astonished when I discovered how much higher I can hear using the IEMs as I pushed up through the frequencies.

In your faces, audiologists.

12kHz - loud
14kHz - quiet
15kHz - nothing

48yrs.

to me, 14kHz sounds like a very high pitch. But my kids can hear higher and no doubt I could when I was their age.

Question: do our brains scale what we can hear so that the highest pitch we can hear sounds the same today as it did when we were younger, regardless of the frequency ???

I just tryed the test over my Scanspeak monitors. I made it to 15k the dog made it all the way to 22k . I know that I have been to to many live shows beside occupational loss. I will try them on my shure e2c earbuds next. It just telling me not to waste money on those tweeters that go to 25k. I am 49 and the dog is 7.

Just for grins, I took the test using my laptop speakers. I could hear 12k clearly and not much above that. My 3yr old 8lb Shih Tsu sitting on the couch was thoroughly annoyed up to 15k where I an guessing that the crappy speakers in the laptop quit. The next time I fire up the 2ch, I'll take another listen. I'm 68.

Bob

17 years old. 18k is no problem but after that it starts to fall off. 19k is audible but very low and only the first 1-2 seconds. 20k is dead silent.

I do have my brother's cat somewhere in the house but she hasn't made any complaints yet of my tests.

Testing this on a pair of EL70eN and I don't know how far up they can play.

Edit: By the way, I had a teacher once... He was above 70 I think and he had some serious hearing damage (musician and teacher his whole life) and he could only hear up to about 4k. Poor old man.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.