Aleph 3 / power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Newbie building a Aleph 3 . pics. attached. looking for info on the build and want to use 20k 100v caps in pic and looking for info on PS LAYOUT ,also would like to point to point [hardwire] the ps components. tnx in advance hopefully the build turns out ok!!

Attachments

• IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_7242.JPG
    IMG_7242.JPG
    599.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_7243.JPG
    IMG_7243.JPG
    560.2 KB · Views: 444
What kind of information are you looking for? (I built an Aleph 3 that I absolutely love).

Look at the Burning amp docs on passdiy for PS schematics that you can use.

I have 2 56k uf(50v) caps per rail and a Jantzen 2.2mH 15 AWG Air Core Inductor in between instead of the resistors. Chokes instead of resistors made a noticeable difference in the sound.

The transformer is 18+18(400VA) from antek.

Think you are right to keep the electrolytics as far away from the heat sinks as possible.

You could cut a square piece of FR-4 or aluminum - drill 4 holes near the corners
and then connect the 4 terminals of the electrolytics to it.
This would be your ground reference node.
If you use FR-4, it will need to be sprayed with a mask to stop oxidizing.

You may want to consider insulating the tops of those electrolytics.

Will your case have ventilation from the bottom and the top ?

I see you are using a soft start - good.

I'm wondering - How important is it to keep the diodes bridges away from the amp circuitry ?

Last edited:
I'm wondering - How important is it to keep the diodes bridges away from the amp circuitry ?

You want to keep the loops formed by the transformer - diodes - first large cap tight/short since current flow there is large and transient as it only flows when the voltage across the transformer secondary is higher than what is stored across the capacitance (plus the diode drop)

You want to keep the loops formed by the transformer - diodes - first large cap tight/short since current flow there is large and transient as it only flows when the voltage across the transformer secondary is higher than what is stored across the capacitance (plus the diode drop)

Thanks for the advise - I'll try to keep the secondary - diode - first cap loops short.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.