• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replacing capacitors on Audio Research D40 power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,
My Audio Research D40 power amp developed a nasty hum and all of my research seems to be pointing towards of replacing the power supply capacitors. This amp has four 400uf 450wvdc mepco/electra brand. Any suggestions of what brand is best and where to buy them. Or if anybody out here has the same power amp. I love this amp and would like to keep it going.
Thanks in advance to anybody with comments.

Hello everybody,
My Audio Research D40 power amp developed a nasty hum and all of my research seems to be pointing towards of replacing the power supply capacitors. This amp has four 400uf 450wvdc mepco/electra brand. Any suggestions of what brand is best and where to buy them. Or if anybody out here has the same power amp. I love this amp and would like to keep it going.
Thanks in advance to anybody with comments.

Finding top quality replacements should not be a problem in terms of electrical performance, but the physical fit issue has to be right. Modern "snap-in" caps will certainly fit in the space as they are far more compact than the originals, but I can't tell you for sure if the electrical connections will fit on the board without some modifications.

I'd also replace the stock diodes with current fast/low noise pieces - whenever I replace old caps with new I like to be sure the diodes are fresh.

Drop me a note if you'd like som specific cap suggestions.

Finding top quality replacements should not be a problem in terms of electrical performance, but the physical fit issue has to be right. Modern "snap-in" caps will certainly fit in the space as they are far more compact than the originals, but I can't tell you for sure if the electrical connections will fit on the board without some modifications.

I'd also replace the stock diodes with current fast/low noise pieces - whenever I replace old caps with new I like to be sure the diodes are fresh.

Drop me a note if you'd like som specific cap suggestions.

Thanks Jim.... Do you have this amplifier? If you do, have you done any type of modifications to improved the overall quality? Also, I am new to this forums/blogs business if allowed, where do you usually get your parts. Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.