• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CCDA SE output stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Say I have a typical SE output stage, with an OPT loaded on the anode of a triode.

Would it make any sense, to have another identical triode to do nothing apart from to draw current in opposite phase from the triode driving the OPT? Which would make the current draw appear constant to the PSU? If it would work at all, is it actually beneficial in practice?

Thanks. :)

So I guess, you are not a fan of normal CCDA? :D

Say it is to be used with unregulated power supply, where a current draw would correspond to a voltage drop. While it is not possible to have 2 identical triodes driving 2 identical loads, wouldn't it help minimizing current draw fluctuation? But of course if it is in fact an audible improvement is another matter.

I can't see the point of normal CCDA, especially the constant current aspect of it. I can see some merit in cancelling supply noise (the other feature of CCDA) but cancellation is always a risky thing to do as it relies on a balance between two nasty things remaining balanced. Power supplies can cope with current variation, so why double the number of valves just to minimise something which doesn't matter? When you load the CCDA the current balance disappears anyway!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.