Dismantling a Combo Receiver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! New to the site and have been lurking for an hour or two. I received an old Fisher combo receiver with a turn table and tape player in it however it was a little beat up and I already had a nice receiver so all I really wanted off it was the turn table. Ive dealt with electronics before and worked with circuit boards before with PCs so I figured I could dismantle it without prior research, I mean why not right? Ill admit I just like taking things apart...its a problem.

All I was trying to accomplish was removing it from the body of the receiver, and then shim sham some new casing for just the turn table.

I did get it out pretty nicely aesthetics wise, however I misjudged what all a turn table actually needed. I did keep the internal 12v power converter, but bypassed the circuit board altogether. I had just blindly assumed analog signal wouldn't need one, I don't know why I felt this was the right course of action but I just did, ok? Would it be more feasible to dismantle the old board and keep what I need or wire up a new one?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi and welcome to diyAudio. the board you didn't keep was probably the phono preamplifier, you need one to bring up the levels and to perform the correct eq on the signal.

pop over to the analogue source forum and there should be plenty to choose from.

Tony.

Thanks! Im actually not at the sound out part yet, it wont even power up. (I do however have a receiver with a Phono in so Im still not sure if I need a pre amp or not.

I tested it before I started taking it apart to see if the belt drive still worked and it did indeed work. I am positive I have the right wires coming from the motor however I cant get it to power up for the life of me. I did get an arc when i connected the power up the 2nd time when I bypassed the on off switch but I dont think I zapped the motor. Maybe being more careful and actually finding my multi-meter would've been a good idea...

Either way here's whats going on in a nutshell. Coming from the bottom of the TT there is a 6 pin plug. The L+/- and R+/- get put into a L, R and a Ground, then there's a pos and neg power.

Then, coming off the on/off switch is only a single wire for power. I've tried connecting the pos to this wire and neg directly to the post on the power supply, vice versa and then finally just straight to the power supply. So, whats the likely hood of a dead motor now?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi if you have a phono in on your amp then you should not need a separate phono preamp.

Not sure about the motor, but it sounds like it is a simple setup, are you sure the power supply is ok? have you checked it with the multimeter? maybe check that the motor doesn't read as a short in ohms mode?

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.