Philips 9710 enclosure recommendation (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took these two Philips 9710s today. they are like-new :rolleyes: both are alike. I want your idea about enclosure. there is no limitation in size

Attachments

• 20060215457.jpg
    20060215457.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 20060215459.jpg
    20060215459.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 20060215460.jpg
    20060215460.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,200
Last edited:
Nice vintage speakers! If you don't have a wife at home then this might be interesting to look at:
index.php

More information can be found in this nice article that Nelson wrote: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf

Uh come on :eek: holly lord will punish me in an other-worldly place :D kiddin' aside, they are neck-breaking to build. I want something easier

You should probably start with gathering more info on these drivers. Especially the T/S parameters. Measure them if you can or search the internet. With this info you can properly sim enclosures..

as these are very famous and widely used speakers, I wanted others opinion so I'll use their experience and build something which is successfully done before ;)

Have you looked at Philips 9710/
If you use it facing forward you have to equalize it quite a lot. Facing upwards (Lowther America Prices ACE horn) or backward it works better (Decca Corner Horn Speaker)

thanks buddy for good info ;) I'll use
question: will these 9710s play fairly well in a 45square feet room with a 3.5wpc SE 2A3 tube amp??
how do they sound like?
can I use a tweeter for better highs? I got B&C D32s laying around which goes up to 18-19Khz with 107db/w/m

d32n.jpg

Uh come on :eek: holly lord will punish me in an other-worldly place :D kiddin' aside, they are neck-breaking to build. I want something easier

as these are very famous and widely used speakers, I wanted others opinion so I'll use their experience and build something which is successfully done before ;)

You said "there is no limitation in size", so I figured this would be a nice example of why you should take a limit on the size :D

ARIYAHOOR

Hello,
for this driver may be my solutions an idea:
sathorn Schalmei, down 100 Hz
or double horns:
Posaune XL, Saxophon, RDH20
as a rear driver i prefer the Monacor SPH-210,
take a view

Attachments

• rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg
    Posaune_innen2_klein linberg.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 221
  • alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    alphorn schalmeihinterg.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 187
You didn't read my post literally :D I said "they are neck-breaking to build" not "they are too big" :p I can't build something like this. BTW they are big! :D

Most BLH designs are neck-breaking to build. Personally I am looking for a nice enclosure for my Coral Flat-8 speakers and I am thinking of building Lowther TP1 enclosures. The reason why this design is very appealing to me is because of the double horn (one in frontside and one on the backside).

tp1_london.jpg

The building plans for these enclosures are available on the web if you search properly. The Lowthers are build out of allot of different sized / shaped boards, these plans are insane and not for the beginner ;)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
An 88 litre internal volume vented enclosure tuned to 40 Hz is a good match for the Philips 9710M/01.The braided voice coil leads need to be checked and replaced if necessary as they have a tendency to harden with age.There are some simple refinements for this driver and a cowl of 'Tontine' or similar fitted snugly behind the frame is one of them.A slot diffuser fitted at the front can help alleviate an aggressive high end and a suitable coating (flexible) applied to the corrugated surround will preserve this item for a long period.

is this a BLH?

Hello,
yes,

the driver need support up to 800 Hz + rolloff,
in the Schalmei double horn sat you will get it,
and you need a good sub,
in the double horns with rear invers driver
you get support up to ~2 kHz and a best bass
by delete the bass imp in the lowest oktave.
look:
Schalmei-Sat
saxophon
RDH

9710 is a good driver in the right enclosures,
try it without added tweeter

45 square feet? that is like 4 square meters and in such a small room any amp is more than enough.
If you mean a room of 45 by 45 feet and thus 2000 square feet you are likely to run out of steam with 4 Watt.

I would go for a tweeter as the high range of any 8" driver beams a lot. Look on the danish page on how he Equed and crossed over to get inspiration.

Many years ago I uilt the Lowther Accousta 115 basshorn and used the Philips 9710 as a driver, very sharp beaming tweeter range and no bass at all below 70 Hz.

absolutely no horn!!!!
Horns are good for low Q loudspeakers and the 9710 has Q around 0,7-0,8 and if it is old and not correctley stored, the magnet might have lost his power and the 9710 might have a Q even more than 0,8.
My 2 cent suggest is to try it OB. If you don't like (poor bass, etc) you can try a closed box at around 200litres

Aiace

Hi, these are some nice drivers you got, they look to be in fantastic shape!

I have a pair of the ceramic magnet version, which has pretty much the same parameters as yours. I used mine in Karlsonettes and they do pretty good, but I believe a better Karlson could be designed for them. AD9710 is on the left; on the right is Richard Allan CG10T.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A big-@$$ TQWT might be your best bet for these. I've attached a variety of Philips enclosures made for the 9710 that I have collected.

IG

Attachments

• 9710 box A5.jpg
    9710 box A5.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 9710 box A4.jpg
    9710 box A4.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 574
  • 9710 box A1.jpg
    9710 box A1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 414
  • 9710 bass reflex cabinet 1.JPG
    9710 bass reflex cabinet 1.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 441
  • 9710 bass reflex cabinet 1 exploded view.JPG
    9710 bass reflex cabinet 1 exploded view.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 500
  • 9710 aperiodic box2.JPG
    9710 aperiodic box2.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 482
  • 9710 aperiodic box1.JPG
    9710 aperiodic box1.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 823
  • 9710 acoustic box 2.JPG
    9710 acoustic box 2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 769
  • 9710 2-way.jpg
    9710 2-way.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 837
  • 9710 box A6.jpg
    9710 box A6.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 447
I actually bought the TP-1 plans from Lowther and scaled it down for a 5"driver. The plans were a mess with the horn both expanding and contracting, my guess is that they converted if rom imperical measures to metric and someone less talented with calculator doing the job and then not bothering testing the results obtained. The top vibrated quite badly as I recall. In hindsight I can not understand why I built such a complicated design for such a crappy driver. I think it was a cheap Japanese driver with a dual cone thing in fake aluminium:eek:

So if you build them make sure that the flare is resonable ( not negative in som bends) and that the parts fit together...

"absolutely no horn!!!!"
i drive the Schalmei and the double horns with the B200 Qt o,8,in my case the TSP
not the point.

And do you know what is the total Q now?
If the total Q is too high you might transoform the impulse answer of the louspeaker from very fast (las the 9710 has) to very slow.
I reccomend this (high Q) only if you like bumby and confusing bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.