• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Raysonic vs. DIY tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uh Hi to all :) the story is, I used to have a Raysonic SP-120MKII, a PP KT88 with 50w/p :rolleyes: my speaker is +100db of efficiency... I always thought "why is 50w/c could not rock such a sensitive speaker" the sound was pretty good but not as one thing a 100db/w/m speaker would sound like at highest level with a 50w/c amplitude
I sold Raysonic away and managed to have a DIY VT4C/211 SE amp with about 30w/c and now I even can't turn up the volume to 10w or so as the sound would be wall-shacking. most of the time I use it and 2-3 watts of output... I'm curious about this matter and I know I'll give this any dedication it needs to find out what is behind the curtain :D I think it's about negative feedback or damping factor or something like this...

any idea is sppreciated :rolleyes:

What about the obvious? PS size and energy stored in the capacitors. Due to the much higher supply voltage the 211 amp is most probably a winner. How about the distortion which is probably much, much higher with the SE amp? Can it make it appear louder? :)

The lack of loop nfb will certainly contribute to a more dynamic sound, but of course you may be right that your speaker simply enjoys less damping.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.