Tapped horn for Tang band W69-1042M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a tapped horn using this driver a few years back but have misplaced the hornresp file due to upgrades on my computer. I have modeled this again as I remember the line being 8-9' but I can't get a good sim with this driver without running out of xmax at low power. I seem to also remember my tuning being about 30hz and was clean until 100hz, output was fair in the110-115dB if I recall correctly. Now my issue is I like I said earlier is I can't get this driver to model well in a tapped horn and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

If I could get a little help on a modeling without issues I would be greatful, it's driving me mad. Thanks in advance.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, then again, it can be 'grown' from ~109 to 188 L and will sim these numbers in 2 pi.

GM

Attachments

• TB W69-1042M TH comparison.gif
    TB W69-1042M TH comparison.gif
    16 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Thanks for the help folks. Bjorno, my sim for the tapped horn was almost identical to yours, and when max SPL is looked at it is still xmax limited in the 40-60Hz range. Is this just me overlooking something or is there really something I should be overlooking?

The OD T-TQWT looks interesting but I'm kind of perplexed as to where the driver would mount in regards to the mouth. I also like that there will be no delay required from the DCX2496 in regards to the OD T-TQWT. Would this be the same sort of external mount of the driver as a TQWT or would this be mounted internally like a TH?

I'd like to keep it smaller if at all possible and the 1.5 cubic/ft is much smaller than the TH at nearly 3.25cubes.

About 3 - 4 years back, I built a prototype T_TQWT for W69-1042J. Was worth it, and I would have rebuilt it nicely had I needed another sub at the time. In fact, that's why I still have my pair of W69 drivers around. Not sure if I posted the plans of diyaudio or not, but from memory, it was a single fold design with the driver close to the start of the pipe

Thanks Zobsky, clears things up a bit.

Quick ? ... How important is the width of the enclosure? Also what effect will the wider cabinet have on frequency responce? I understand that with horns the wider the mouth the greater the extension, but is this attribute also true with a OD T-TQWT?

Quick ? ... How important is the width of the enclosure? Also what effect will the wider cabinet have on frequency responce? I understand that with horns the wider the mouth the greater the extension, but is this attribute also true with a OD T-TQWT?

Hi

The width have no effect or very little effect and can be ignored as a T-TQWT is a point pressure source i.e. omni.

A T-TQWT is not a TH = no mouth but a (TL) terminus= port like a BR have.

Normally, to ensure adequate magnet clearance depth behind the driver the enclosure internal dept is maximized by choosing the driver frame width as the internal width(+0 .1 inch or so).

b:)

Thanks for clearing that up bjorno, as this driver is quite narrow I was hoping the frequency responce wouldn't suffer due to this attribute. So essentially the line end or S3 would determain the size of said port opening if you will. And the terminus is centrally aligned with the back wave of the driver... correct me if I understand this wrong.

Like Bjorno said, the narrower the cabinet the better (easier to get the driver basket+magnet to fit) > here's one I built a few years ago for a 12" driver http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/170277-opinions-needed-tapped-horn-drivers-2.html

I'm having issues understanding how to fold this thing.... Here is what I've come up with but somehow I think I should be able to fold it much more efficiently like zobsky's 12" cabinet. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• OD-T-TQWP.jpg
    OD-T-TQWP.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 344
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.