VU LED - looking for drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm looking for some good driver to build led vu meter...

I know there is LM3915, but I'm looking for something else.
I wanna build led meter for eng mixer, I dream about meter like
at Sound Devices 302 (of corse without setup function).
-30/-20dB to +20dB.
I want to turn only point as indicator & need to fade in/out of
light for power saving.

Any solutions? please help

The LM3915 is really just a specialized comparator circuit fabricated on a single die. You could do the same (and more) using comparator ICs. Your reference and resolution would determine the final schematic.
I'm not aware of a specific LM3915 "upgrade" chip, but that doesn't mean there are none. You could have a look at TI, NXP, ON semiconductor makers' websites to see what is available.

Velleman had some kits that were using UAA or ULN devices...don't recall exactly which... some googling should find them......

I built a couple of meters for a community radio project back in the 80s, using two cascaded LM3915s in spot mode. Worked quite well..... drawings should be avalable on the net......

Rohm had some chips like the BA681A which drove 12 LEDs.

Siemens made the UAA180 which also drove 12 LEDS. Google images for UAA180 will turn up umpteen schematics and even board layouts. Presumably searching on LM3915 will also turn up some useful images.

Well, it looks like all the info is there. Hex code, board layout, so why not build one? If you want more features, like simultaneous peak and average display, a microcontroller can do that with a much lower parts count than analog chips.

Here's one with 40 LEDs, but not very cheap. http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=100

American Audio makes a rack mount 2-channel wide range level meter ("dB display") that sells on eBay for under $60.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.