How to power these boards on DC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Forgive my beginner questions, I'm learning as I go along.

I'm putting together a little DIY audio project, and I found this great preamp board which I want to use. The problem is though that the board specifies that it requires an AC supply, however the project is mobile and will be running on DC. Am I able to run this board on DC somehow or do I have to find another preamp?

The preamp is pictured here:
NE5532 Preamp DIY Treble Mediant Bass Blance Volume Board Aseeembled $20.73 Free Shipping @GoodLuckBuy.com

It seems alot of these preamps using the NE5532 require an AC aupply. How can one get around this?

Thanks for your help!
Mark

I have had a quick look around for an off the shelf dc to dc supply, say 12V DC to 6-0-6, or 24V DC to 12-0-12.

Haven't found anything...

It's easy to find DC powered class D power amps for what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find any volume/bass/mid/treble preamps which run on DC for my needs... Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks for the help!

The board has on board rectifiers , regulation and filtering for turning AC to filtered DC .....
If this is going to be a mobile you can use 2 x 9v batteries in series to get a +/-9v dc supply , You would need to mod the Rectifier/regulator section of the pcb to accept a DC supply , it could be as easy as installing a couple jumpers .....

:)

That board requires AC suply because it has it's own bridge rectifier and filtering caps, and stabiliser just after them, the stabilisers seem to be 7812/7912 so it would be as simple as feeding the DC supply voltages directly on the capacitors pins ( the 2200uF/25V ones ), no modification needed, just be careful to respect the polarities. If DC supply voltages are smaller than 12V ( or equal ) but they are from some battery so stable than you need to bypass the stabilisers, just remove them and with a jumper feed the voltages from the caps to the Vout of the stabilisers, it's sound complicated but in fact it's verry easy.

Ok sorry then... as i see he sayd that he was looking for some DC to DC converter from a sigle supply to simetricall one ( for example 24Dc in <=> +/-12VDc Out...) , but he did not find anyting ( he might try floating ground..), i might be wrong but this is what i understud from message #3.

Two 9V batteries are more than ok, the power consumption for that board is verry low so the batteryes should last long time, and they are cheap.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. To answer your questions, I am trying to run it from a single DC supply, namely a battery. From what I understand I could use 2 batteries in series, then take a tap off their join for the '0V'?

I guess I could use a 24V charger across the two 12V batteries if I wanted to charge without removing them?

Single source preamp/tone control circuits aren't THAT easy to find, however I have found a fairly easy one to make using the TDA1512A. That will solve all my needs, and I think I'll just use Class D amps for battery based applications.

Thanks!
Mark

...I think that cct is using 12v regulators...
I've already sayd it does on the other page, so it's nothing new ;)

..those regs probably use more power than the rest of the board...
Not likely, they have a quiescent current of les than 10mA ( about 6,5 to be exact ), the OA on the ather hand requiers more than that, ( about 20mA each ), but anyway, that is NOt the reason why he should bypass the regulators ( sayd that too myself ) but thing is the regs need some minimal Vin-Vout difference to work properly, you cannot power a 12v regulator with 12V and espect it to perform well, on the other hand, powering an OA from batteryes makes the regs useless cus the voltage is already fairly stable.

@mkv that board requires split supply so eyther 9 or 12V battery you still ned 2 of them, connect them in series and take the 0 point ( ground ) from the batteryes joyning point, connect them directly on the filter caps pins and bypass the regulators as i say before, that is all you need to do.

You could try this: Switching boost Power Supply board DC12V to DC±32V 180W | eBay I bought one of these from this guy and it works just fine! The component quality is actually quite good and it operates pretty cool powering a load (when properly heatsunk).

Because the preamp board you're looking for has a bridge rectifier on the input, you can apply AC (naturally) or DC and it will work fine. With +/-DC voltage applied, the current will just flow through two diodes only, but still work fine.

Next, because the preamp board you're looking at uses input regulators, most likely 7812/7912 (or 9V, 15V), and they can handle up to 37Vin, so applying the +/- switching regulator with an output of +/-32VDC, it will work just fine.

Plus, there should be enough power left over to run a power amp along with the preamp all from the same supply.

You'll have to check on shipping to your location, but this is a reputable seller and a great price for the complexity and quality of the supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.