Help in choosing a cab for Goodmans Axiom 300

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any advice from members that have sucessfully housed their Goodsmans 12" drivers.

Mine are the Axiom 300 (look very similar to 150 mkII's).

NB! The whizzers are missing, so I will use a KSN1177 piezo tweeter for the tops.

After many hours researching on the 'net, I have found the following options:

Goodmans aperiodic cabs using the resistive vent.
Goodmans cabinets with large reflex ports.
Open baffles.
MLTL
Karlson K12
Petite Onken
Any many more.........

Before I do my nut in, is there a proven sucessful combo?

Thank you.

GM

Joined 2003
No experience, though I imagine that each is a 'successful' alignment for the app it was designed for. What matters is the specs of your driver and the performance parameters you want in your room, but few folks can/will spend the total cost in $$$/time to acquire all this info, so in the scheme of things the factory aperiodic alignment is probably the best compromise overall.

GM

Hi
The cabinet that works is that originally specified by Goodmans. They proposed a very large cabinet. I do not have the spec sheet to hand but my memory says the cabinet is 1m high by 40cm wide and 35 cm deep. The large speaker is set in the top of the front panel. The cabinet has a covered vent in the lower half of the front panel. The vent is, again from memory, 30cm by 20cm and has an open metal grill accross it that is covered by thin felt.
You need to brace the cabinet to get solid base.
I do not know which model you have - there were various impedances and power handling models - but if you have the voice coil version Goodmans claim it can go as high as Hz. However in reality the unit you have is best used as a bass unit with a roll off at 650Hz. Goodmans used midax and trebax horns above 650Hz with simple, I believe, 1st order filters.
You will find it very sensative.I found that used with an electro 25 power amp it filled a hall at half volume.
I later tried a half size cabinet and it did sound ok but it lost some deep base.
Don

Thank you GM & Don

I was also thinking that the Goodmans ARU 172 cabinet may be the best option. I have seen pictures of the resistive vent unit. It appears that the red felt covers all but the central vertical strip - it's hard to find any real info on how to contruct such a unit.

Getting the ARU correct is, I imagine, crucial.

Presently, I have only the tweeter, so will let the Goodmans run full-range, and blend the piezo in at about 5000 hz.

Tom

GM

Joined 2003
You're welcome!

Don't know which cab is best for your app, so will just say that if you choose the larger cab option it will give you more tuning flexibility.

Don't recall seeing an original, but a resistive vent can be made from a wide variety of materials sandwiched between hardware screen or similar. The last ones I made were just a bunch of coffee filters between pet resistant window/door screen tuned to 'taste' ;). A simple 'click' test ckt. for 'critically' damping vents is all that's needed if you don't have any test gear.

GM

Attachments

• Click Test.gif
    Click Test.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 251
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.