plz help crown xti4000,6000 cerwin vegas sl36

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi this is what i have

1 crown xti 4000 running 2 jbl jrx 125/tr225

1 crown xti 6000 running 4 cerwin Vegas sl36

1 furman pl pro 20amp power conditioner

1 DRPA+

1 bbe 822i

1 dbx 215

1 numark preamp pa5 pro

now what i need help with is my tops they sound bad i know dual 15 are bad but what is good for my set up cause i know im to bass heavy and i need the right xover and limiter setting for the pa and any other info or input would be nice thanx

You don't really need the DRPA+, all the processing can take place in the XTi power amps. Download Band Manager from the Crown site, with that software you can fully configure the amps. The 6000 would have a bandpass output set up from 35hz to 100hz and the 4000 would have a bandpass output from 100hz to 19,000hz. For the 35hz high pass on the 6000 go with a BW filter with a 24 db cutoff, the 100hz low pass go with a LR filter and 24 db cutoff. On the 4000 the 100hz high pass LR filter 24 db cutoff, the 19,000hz low pass BW filter with a 6 or 12 db cutoff. The amps get connected with the loop thru outputs connected to the next amps inputs, order of amps does not matter.

Do don't use the 20 amp power conditioner to power both of the amps use it for your mixer, EQ and other input source equipment. The BBE unit I would not use at all. If you do use the DRPA+ I would recommend not using the auto EQ function.

Good job, Mike. I would add:

If you have old xti's you will need to download new firmware, and use Band Manager v1.0, not the new Band Manager v2.0

Hi djarista:

JBL's horn works from 2000Hz up, and the 15in drivers lobe above 1000Hz, so expect the midrange to be a problem. The bottom
15in driver won't be doing anything except breaking your back loading & unloading.

Last edited:
well, what are you hearing is the shortcomings of the speaker. this is a budget design of the classic 4722 with a passive crossover. the light bulbs in the horns cause distortion that is not suitable for FOH applications. these speakers were designed mainly as side fill monitors.

If I was stuck with these speakers, I would remove the crossover out of them entirely. mount a NL-4 (4 pole speak-on) run 1+/- to the woofers in parallel, and 2+/- goes to the horn.

purchase an XTI1000 and another xti 4000 so that the high packs are powered with one channel of the xtI1000 goe to the tweeter and a xti4000 (bridged) to the midbass drivers.

and one more xti6000 (just to make things run cooler on the sub side)

bridge the 4000's for each side

xti1000 to the tweeter internal dsp: highpass 24db @ 2.5k
xti 4000 to the woofers internal dsp lowpass 24db @2.5k wth high shelf at 85 hz

this will bring the speakers into the 4722 spec

Last edited:
You bridge amps when you can't get enough voltage swing out of the amp to get maximum displacement out of your speakers.

You have enough amplifier to blow both your subs and tops to kingdom come. So don't bother with more amps and don't bother bridging.

My recommendation is to replace your tops with something more appropriate. JBL PRX412M or something like that. Not terribly expensive and IMO pretty decent sounding.

Learn how to use Band Manager to configure the DSP built into your amps, they have build in EQ, crossovers, delays and limiters, as good as anything you can buy. And ditch the DRPA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.