Variations in transformer inductance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have a problem with a transformer design, my supplier says that the cores they have in stock are not within the specs given in the datasheet. The Al is higher than the specified 286nH +/- 25%. The result is that the primary windings have an inductance of 0,018 mH instead of 0,014 mH and the secondary windings have an inductance of 0,08 mH instead of 0,056 mH.

How do these variations in transformer inductance affect the performance of the transformer? Will it limit the maximum output current or power?

The transformer is used in a PSU and the input is a square wave. Parts of the schematic is shown in the attachment. It's used to get an unregulated isolated voltage for a RS485 chip. Output current from the secondary windings are low, about 15 mA.

My biggest concern is whether the increased inductance will limit the power output or not.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• PSU.png
    PSU.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 60
Definitively, NO! If the inductance is too low, it will draw much power that will be wasted in generating the magnetic pah in the core, but it power is UNUSABLE. Higher primary inductance in this kind of job is a goal, and the higher, the best trafo and the lower the no-load self consumption.

Sorry if my English is not good, and I can´t see more specific.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.