Any reliable DIY kits good for a REAL 150-200W into 8ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like the title says I need a reliable and real 150-200W/channel into 8 ohms class D amp. The ones I've looked at from hifimediy.com, ClassDaudio.com(quite pricey) and the L20D IRS 2090 and the like all state this output but how realistic is it and how reliable are these units in general. I need cheap amplification for an active system and need these questions answered honestly, along with any other suggestions for other reliable resources available. Being that SMPS are fairly cheap when purchased with standard voltages I'd like to stick with something that is capable of running from the available off the shelf units. This puts a damper on units like the L-20D as required PS for this to get 200-250 stated watts is a 70V supply.... Most SMPS are good to 48V from what I've seen. Anyway any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

The voltage of your power supply will set an upper limit on your power. If you're running from a single +48V supply, a BTL amplifier will only give you a theoretical 140 watts sine (and practically, a fair bit less, maybe 120W sine) and few companies make BTL amplifiers anyway.

I'd say get a SMPS designed for audio, like this guy, and pair it with whatever amplifier you choose: Connexelectronic

IRS2090 amplifiers are great for 'brute force' power for things like PA systems. My only issue with them is they (in every case I've seen) use output stage feedback instead of post-filter feedback - this means that the amplifier output filter has to be different for use with 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers, and using the wrong impedance speaker can cause dullness/brightness. Not an insurmountable problem, mind you - you can tweak the mismatch out with equalization.

The Hypex modules mentioned use post-filter feedback, meaning they don't have the load sensitivity issue. I also consider them to be pretty much the best class D amplifiers on the planet. But you pay for that.

The L25D is 250W RMS in to 8 Ohms, look at that model. Even though I would never operate there all the time, the L25 has dual output fets, instead of one in the L15 and L20

Using my common sense, an L25 operated less than 200W during its life should last longer than a L20 at 200W??? I have seen many threads about the operational temperatures of the L20/L25's being kind of high. The designers says its ok and normal.

Yes, I would use a SMPS from Connex, they would be my first choice for SMPS retailers. They offer +/- 72VDC SMPS which are perfect for L20-L25's. Or go linear PS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.