• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a few months not using my TSE I decided to put it back into my system a few days ago. I had forgotten how nice this amp sounds.
My preamp runs directly to the TSE and to a minidsp to eq the signal to a separate amp for the woofers.
Well last night I mistakenly turned off the minidsp before I turned off the amps. There was a very loud thump. It was late and I went to bed. Today when I turned the system on the TSE is humming through the speakers. Not very loud, but a hum that is noticeable and was definitely not there before. Same in both channels. I took the amp out of the system and played it by itself, same result...hum. I checked the voltages and all seems ok. The only thing I find off is the heaters for the 5842 tubes are at 5.7 volts.
Any ideas where I should look?
Thanks, Evan

Seems unlikely you could have caused damage by doing that. The low heater voltage is relatively normal, especially if you are not using a Allied or Hammond power transformer. George has a dropping resistor on the heater supply to compensate for the "hot" secondaries on those.

Are you using 300Bs or 45s? What is the heater supply voltage going into the regulator?

Russ,
Thanks for taking the time to give me a hand. Maybe it started humming while it was playing and I didn't notice it until I started it the next day. It runs 45 tubes. The input to the regulator is 3.4 volts. 2.5 out. The Hammond transformer has a line in for 125 volts that I use. This gives me 275v bplus with my set up. If I use the 115volt line in my b plus is well over 300 volts even with a very small c4. I'll check out more after work.
Thanks, Evan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.