Can I use the Alpair 6-p's in a 3 way design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I just wanted to say that these little drivers are a very good alround fullrange driver. I wanted to know if I can use the alpair 6-p in a 3 way design? I would cross over the woofer at 700hz then I would cross over the alpair 6-ps at 600hz. Then I would add a super tweeter at 10khz. I just want to take all the bass out of the alpair 6'-ps and then run them fullrange all the way up. I have really enjoy this driver listening to them brake in. I have already run these drivers in for 130 hours on low volumes and light music. I hope one day mark would come out with a 6 inch alpair paper driver. Please let me know if this will work? Thanks jm

Last edited:
Hello all. I just wanted to say that these little drivers are a very good alround fullrange driver. I wanted to know if I can use the alpair 6-p in a 3 way design? I would cross over the woofer at 700hz then I would cross over the alpair 6-ps at 600hz. Then I would add a super tweeter at 10khz. I just want to take all the bass out of the alpair 6'-ps and then run them fullrange all the way up. I have really enjoy this driver listening to them brake in. I have already run these drivers in for 130 hours on low volumes and light music. I hope one day mark would come out with a 6 inch alpair paper driver. Please let me know if this will work? Thanks jm

in short, I can't see why not - subject to fiddling of exact XO point(s) / slope(s) - although frankly I'm not so sure the 6ps need much help at the top end - but that could just be my worn out cochlea

Thanks dave. I tried with another fullrange driver and I cut it off at 150 hz with a cap called a 6 DB crossover really didn't cut anything or stop the bass. The speaker still let bass come thur. I used a 110 volt non-polarized crossover caps from parts express. It was a 120 uf. I got them for 4.00. Again it did nothing? Should I have used a mH inductor?I just want to beable to play this speaker for all kinds of music and not struggle with it. I really want to see this driver shine.jm

P.s. Dave did you do a speaker with a fostex ff85wk in front and use a 6 1/2 woofer on the side of the cabnet? How did you cross over this speaker and what kinda parts did you use? Also do you have any hints to help me out on this project of mine?jm

Last edited:
While my experience has been with A6m g1, not A6p, I found that 160-170hz was the optimal xover level in a FAST setup with a 7l cab (2l sealed separated compartment for A6m, 5l sealed for the 5" woofer). Though I had additional xover capability to add a tweeter on top, to my ears the A6m really didn't need it or want it.
Mario

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks dave. I tried with another fullrange driver and I cut it off at 150 hz with a cap called a 6 DB crossover really didn't cut anything or stop the bass. The speaker still let bass come thru.

Trying to XO that low passively is not that effective. You are running into the resonant peak.

P.s. Dave did you do a speaker with a fostex ff85wk in front and use a 6 1/2 woofer on the side of the cabnet? How did you cross over this speaker and what kinda parts did you use? Also do you have any hints to help me out on this project of mine?

That speaker used a PLLXO at ~333 Hz. The one with the 2 x EL166 in an MTM had a 1st order series XO (3mH + 30uF) about the same place.

dave

dave

While my experience has been with A6m g1, not A6p, I found that 160-170hz was the optimal xover level in a FAST setup with a 7l cab (2l sealed separated compartment for A6m, 5l sealed for the 5" woofer). Though I had additional xover capability to add a tweeter on top, to my ears the A6m really didn't need it or want it.
Mario

Yes the a6m that I have heard they are alittle more better on the top end then the 6mp that are softer on top. Just trying to get a idea about a design I have already worked on with other fullrange drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.