• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Power Amp.....Possible??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just wondering here, reading through the TubeCAD Aikido pages I find it interesting that Mr. Broskie states a 300B can be made to work in an Aikido topology.
This makes me wonder some more.
Would it be possible to make an Aikido Power Amp?
The specific tubes used I don't think matter so long as they are the same in the follower as the input.

Has this been done before?

What is the point of an Aikido? It is to reduce PSU noise into low level signals (such as a line stage) and to reduce the signal currents sent back to the PSU.

The first point is much less needed in high level stages such as outputs. The second point can be done approximately by normal push-pull, or very wastefully by SE Aikido. Remember that the Aikido is only balanced when it has no load - fine for a line stage, no good for an output. You would need to arrange things so that for every watt sent to the speaker you sent another watt to a power resistor, so efficiency (already low for Class A) is halved.

I would not call an attempted output Aikido "comedy", just misguided?

I was about to reply, then saw that DF96 nailed the points I was going to make.
I should note that in practice, the noise rejection isn't that fabulous anyway.

The linearity is as good as a conventional stage if you use very high B+, which is fine in a preamp, not so fine in a power amp.

Easy critics.... then come up yourself with a better design, or at least (try to, but I am not very optimistic) point out why the Aikido is "comedy" :(

The comedy is in this:

It effectively cancels power supply noise when there is no signal.

When there is an actual signal, it no longer cancels power supply noise!

Its the perfect comedy, because the louder your music, the more it drowns out the power supply noise.

Effectively, you have what is called 'masking',
and it works very well.

To understand the comedy fully, go here,

Ace Ventura - Shikaka! - YouTube

and watch from 1:50 to 2:22 minutes into skit.

THIS is Aikido in action re: noise rejection,
demonstrated visually.

Think of the chief as the Aikido method of noise rejection,
and Ace Ventura as the power supply noise.

Last edited:
The Aikido makes a good line stage. The output impedance is low by line stage standards. As a power amp there are designs with much lower output impedance. As far as PSRR goes the feed foreword noise cancellation can use some tuning. John Broskie offers one formula to calculate the voltage divider for the full on the Aikido and another for the standalone Aikido output stage the Aikido Cathode Follower.

I run the Aikido as a headphone amplifier with a para feed style output transformer to drop the output impedance. I tuned the voltage divider to minimize idle noise with the cans on my head (it is dead quiet). The noise cancellation is a plus. It is my feeling that power supplies have a sound they contribute from voltage sag or whatever the cause. The out of phase noise injection helps. I also run this Aikido with a regulated voltage supply to help minimize the contribution of the power supply.

John Broskie has written several times regarding cathode follower Power amplifiers, see his current blog.

To speak of the Aikido Comedy requires perhaps too much Drama.

DT

The comedy is in this:

It effectively cancels power supply noise when there is no signal.

When there is an actual signal, it no longer cancels power supply noise!

Its the perfect comedy, because the louder your music, the more it drowns out the power supply noise.

Effectively, you have what is called 'masking',
and it works very well.

To understand the comedy fully, go here,

Ace Ventura - Shikaka! - YouTube

and watch from 1:50 to 2:22 minutes into skit.

THIS is Aikido in action re: noise rejection,
demonstrated visually.

Think of the chief as the Aikido method of noise rejection,
and Ace Ventura as the power supply noise.

Thanks Nazaroo,
This is at least a decent post; I could not get hold of your post #2.

Not sure the sound of aikido ever came up, but i cant find a better quiet all round tube preamp for my power stage. power mosfet push pull. and the simplicity. these are facts, the bandwidth and frequency response... the slew rate...remember square wave tests? oh yeah thats archaic since touting opinions on new pop culture blog sites became more important than the facts. cuz you read it on the web dont mean nuthin. i have a hill of beans for you to sort thru to tout your superior ace in the hole. only place to trash the facts is blog sites. it wont work anywhere else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.