• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Pre dull into Tube Amp - cause ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all

i have 2 stereo (a Heathkit, and an RCA, both Rebuilt professionally) tube preamps. both are vintage designs c late 1950's early 1960s but have the outputs modded so will drive modern SS amps .

When i try to run them into diff Tube Pwr amps (Heath , RCA Console-All REBUILT professionally), they seem "duller" as if HF is rolling off too much (not the usual Tube Amp roll off this is more severe) -when run into SS Modern Amps-they sound GREAT.

My tech says IF any thing is happening , its just due to "too many tubes" (just 2 preamp tubes + 1 pwr tube per side). This doesnt make sense (to me) since they were (originally-prior to modded output) MADE to go into Tube Pwr amps !

My questions are :

1-is this right? (usually too many tubes to me sounds the opposite-scooped mids and brite hf-too many harmonix)
2-if this is not right, what could it be (impedence issue? due to modern gear interfacing mods on outs)
3-if # 2 , can "I" fix this (i have good solder skills), as i will have to do the work .

thanks,

bz

Last edited:
Two things:
1. find another 'tech', someone who actually understands electronics
2. post the circuits, with his changes marked

What does "rebuilt professionally" mean? Modded by someone who didn't understand what he was doing?

Dull sound may mean that the amps have too much input capacitance but the solution for that would be to reduce the output impedance of the preamps - needs more than a capacitor to do that. "Too many tubes" is just silly, as you suspect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.