Nakamichi PA-7E?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a Nakamichi PA-7E for sale for 9900SEK (€1102/$1428/£884).
Nakamichi PA-7E

Is it a good amplifier?
I currently just have a pair of Mar-Kel70eN speakers but this summer I will build something bigger with more headroom and dynamic capabilities. Would this be a good amplifier for me or are there better amplifiers out there for the same price?

The F5 Turbo looks interesting. I think 25 W @8ohm might be a little too little for my needs. But 50 will probably be enough. I'll spend some time reading about the F5 and the F5 Turbo.

I don't think I can afford to buy a new one (I'm a poor school student) but how much would it cost to DIY one? Are they hard to build?

...I think 25 W @8ohm might be a little too little for my needs...
I think you might experience a jaw-dropping surprise with F5's 25W of Class-A. Sure, relatively efficient speakers help if you're into generating lots of SPL for the neighbours. But hey - I've driven the notoriously SPL "poor" electrostats with it, and never thought I needed more. To each it's own, I suppose.

As far as DIY costs: With all Class-A amps your major material expense are the heatsinks, and the overall major expense is the heatsinks + case/enclosure fabrication. Amp itself, incl. the transformer and caps (PSU), is very little compared to metalworks.

If the build cost is a concern, not to mention the running cost and heat that it generates (which, in Sweden, might be a blessing! ;)), maybe you are in the wrong camp altogether? Maybe a conservative class-AB? Google for Naim/Avondale kits for example, and you're set.

I found a Nakamichi PA-7E for sale for 9900SEK (€1102/$1428/£884).
Nakamichi PA-7E

Is it a good amplifier?
I currently just have a pair of Mar-Kel70eN speakers but this summer I will build something bigger with more headroom and dynamic capabilities. Would this be a good amplifier for me or are there better amplifiers out there for the same price?

I have bought 2 of these. Each with a channel out for under $400 USD. I sold the power supply and working channel on eBay for a couple hundred and built F5 in the chassis using the nice heatsinks. To me it was worth the $200 USD for the metal work and the F5 is really great. They have enough heatsinking for a small F5 Turbo if you need 50 Watts.
I really never listened to the PA7 amps so I don't know how they stack up. But I sure like the F5.
Rush

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.