• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Found tons of Tubes,and many other parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i posted this on Antique Radio Forums • Index page also, but thought id try here too.

Hi guys i have ran across a bunch of old tubes, capacitors, resistors, Testing equipment. My grandfather used to Have a repair shop and radios, Tv's, Amplifiers, pretty much anything you can imagine if it was electronic was his specialty. He is having me clean out this equipment and I was wondering if any of the Equipment in the pictures may be of any value to him. I have tried looking up some of the items but dont know if there is any real market for it? There is many more electronic parts in Bin's that i havent even took pictures of, but here is a link to what i have took pictures of. http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... ?start=all

Thank you!!

Most of the larger items don't at first glance look special. However the tubes may contain gold as they all look new. eBay is the place to look up each item and then place a watch on it to see what it sells for.

I just sold off the junk from a radio station. One tube sold for more than $700! They had thrown out other similar ones thinking no one in their right mind would buy them. They might be right, but a few folks not in their right mind bid on it. (Now it was a large transmitter tube and you probably won't get that much for a single tube.

Also in the pile was a digital encoder that is in current production and selling for $7000, didn't get that much on eBay but the proceeds from the sale of stuff they would have thrown out were certainly worth the effort.

If you want to sell it all at once PM me.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some collection of tubes...:eek:

One tube sold for more than $700! (Now it was a large transmitter tube and you probably won't get that much for a single tube.

I think I've passed up on a box full of those a 'few' years ago. Pre-internet, so I couldn't look them up (HT-86 just popped into my mind, but this was ~1990, so I doubt I actually remember said typenumber, larger than coke-tin sized, only 4 pins iirc)

But I did some good things too (three Klangfilm tube-amps that I stored for a decade because I didn't get round to test them and passed on to an enthousiast).

I suspect that there are enough people on this board with sufficient interest to allow you sell most of the stuff here, without resorting to eBay. There’s a forum here titled “Swap Meet” that’s specifically for this purpose. I have an interest in the polystyrene capacitors. Many others will have interest in some, but probably not all the tubes. The audio types will sell quickly, but you will probably find that many of the “TV” tubes will be difficult to sell. Another outlet for equipment of this type, would be weekend “Hamfests”.

Thank you

Well so far thank you all for the PM's and information and interest. It may take me a week or so to find the time to catalog all the items and make a list. Any further information is greatly appreciated. But I will post a more detailed list when i get a little time.

Thanks again,
casten

I suspect that there are enough people on this board with sufficient interest to allow you sell most of the stuff here, without resorting to eBay. There’s a forum here titled “Swap Meet” that’s specifically for this purpose. I have an interest in the polystyrene capacitors. Many others will have interest in some, but probably not all the tubes. The audio types will sell quickly, but you will probably find that many of the “TV” tubes will be difficult to sell. Another outlet for equipment of this type, would be weekend “Hamfests”.

+1

I know I've already seen a handful I'd be interested in.
Bit hard to see the numbers on some of them, but I'm sure I could find a decent handful more in that.

Looks like a nice TV repair shop tube collection.
In that there will likely be a number of desirable types.

You have a nice stash, if you have the patience to sell them on ebay, the better types will bring you a pretty nice chunk-o-change.

Otoh, you could build some stuff for yourself with some of it, depending on what tubes are there...

The old twistloc caps will be of interest to those who restore radios and musician's amps...

_-_-bear

I'm tempted to buy up those twist lock caps and try to reform them. Can you open a few boxes and look to confirm that they are unused? By that I mean that there is no wire or solder on them and nothing has been twisted.

They certainly do look to be NOS (new old stock) but I know how common it was for folks to replace a part (or tube) and put the old part back in the box and then hang on to it. Not that I ever do that...;)

The capacitors are likely metal cans inside those boxes with the multiple values printed on the flaps, in one of the tube caddy shots... they are called "twist lock" because they are inserted into (usually) a phenolic insulator that is pre-punched to match the bottom, and then to hold it in place the tabs that connect to the metal can on the bottom get a 1/4 turn twist, which causes the little tines on the tabs to spread and lock the capacitor into place. Twist - lock.

:D

_-_-bear

Twist lock

The capacitors are All NOS there were 2 of an off brand that are used and i tossed them the rest all appear to be unused and NIB.i have a list of them all here.

Grayburn caps
tsb-1
tvl-1541
tvl1540
pcl-1428
tva-1205
tvl-1426
tvl-1429
tvl-1547
tva-1163
tva-1162
tva-1906
tva-1966
tva-1712
tva-1480
pcl-2432
pcl-2441
tva-3451
tvl-4635.7
tva-1802

General Electric Caps
XC1-26
XC1-8
XC1-16.1
XC1-18
XC1-19
XC-14
XC3-26
XC2-1.1
XC2-28
XC2-39
XC2-43.05
XC3-20
XC3-47
XC3-29
XC3-33
XC3-34
XC3-39
XC3-46
XC4-8.5
XC3-48
XC4-4.2
XC4-5.1
XC4-6.1
XC4-9.1
XC4-10.2
XC4-14
XC4-29
XC4-30
XC4-31
XC4-63.1
XC4-68.1
XC4-68.2
XC4-69
XC4-55.1
XC4-73
XC4-76
XC4-83
XC4-84
XC3-48.05
EP31X57
EP31X28
EU31X278

MALLORY
FP253
FP140.91
WD-446A
FP245.5
FP155A
FP414.1
PFP427.69A
FP450.16A
FP125.95M
FP147

ARCOLYTIC
CTM2342

CDE
DD0966A
CC0238.7A
AA0263A
DD0048A

yeah, well few of us out here will have the original catalogs to go back to reference in order to find out what values and voltages those are... one kinda goes by the size and the values printed on the box or if not there, then on the can itself... otoh, you don't want to open up old NOS boxes either...

_-_-bear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.