HU recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a new "or used" HU to replace the POS I'm using now. I'm mostly an old school audio guy but decided to put all newer equipment in my new truck. The only components I planned to use that were old school were an audiocontrol 3.1 and an Alpine CDA-7995. Unfortunately, the Alpine unit I bought did not function properly so I had the audio shop install a cheap Pioneer HU for the time being. My truck install is relatively simple..... Infinity Kappa 6X9's up front, JBL down firing 10" sub between the rear jumper seats, JL XD 500/3 amp, and the Audiocontrol 3.1. I really want to install a HU that has the potential for better SQ. The only problem is that my other half is in the front seat quite a bit and she wants be to get something that will have IPOD connectivity. I don't need bluetooth, pandora, sat, or any other options. Just looking for a clean SQ HU that I can hook an IPOD up to as well. I have a couple of Eclipse ECD units laying around that I would love to use again! However, I haven't heard of anyone being able to get an IPOD to work off of the DIN changer output. I'm not against buying a newer HU but I just love the sound of some older Eclipse & Alpine HU's I've used. One unit I'm considering is the Nak CD-400. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Sorry about the long 1st post and I'm glad to have found a forum that seems to have a hell of a lot of knowledge. :)

The Alpine CDA-117Ri is a good unit, it boasts a USB socket and 24bit Burr Brown DAC. The imprint kit can be added to this unit for further processing and expansion.

I use an Alpine CDA-9887R. It also uses 24bit Burr Brown DAC like the 117Ri only you don't need the imprint kit. You get time alignment, active crossovers, parametric equaliser, 4v preouts etc. The sound it produces, even with everything switched off is IMO unbeatable.
It also gives you full control of iPod functions on unit.

In summary;
I'd buy 9887R in a heartbeat. even if you don't need all the functions right now.
It leaves room for upgrades at a later date :)

Look at the new Pioneer DEH-80PRS, all the features you need + more, great ipod integration, Auto EQ and TA if you want it, dual rear USB, SD card and AUX. They're going for around £260 in the UK.

117 is a nice piece of kit, with the imprint sounds great, BUT: less control of the sound than the Pioneer, BT is an extra cost, so is the Imprint, PITA to use when compared to the pioneer too, so I'd buy the Pioneer in a heart beat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.