JL 1000/1 excessive current draw

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ladies & Gentlemen,

My name's Ben, 23, Electronics Engineer trainee. I'm well & truly a fan of car audio, and I love what i'm learning with my job.

Basically, I have my trusty JL 1000/1 v1 amplifier which when wired up & switched on, will draw excessive amounts of current (enough to rupture a 60amp fuse). It was only connected to a 500w subwoofer, and switched on at a very low volume, zero gain.

Turning everything off, and doing it again yields the same results. The power light comes on, as if it were under normal operating conditions. This leads me to think that there's a short circuit somewhere in the power supply, or the output.

Do any of you out there know of anything similar happening to these JL amps? Also, id be really proud of myself if I could fix it on my own; what would be my best methods for testing this so as to eliminate possibilities?

Thankyou,
Ben

g-d = gate-drain
d-s = drain-source
g-s = gate-source

Upon doing resistance measurements on the transistors, there are two SF1606G next to each other, and on either side of these there is one SF1606GA.

One of the SF1606G transistors measures 13.9kohm g-d, 0.2ohm d-s, 223kohm d-s, while the other one of the 1606G measures approx 0ohms between g-d, g-s and d-s.

Could this short-circuit 1606G be my problem? I found one dry solder on one of the IRF3707's that is next to one of the SF1606GA's and have amended that. All D-S values on the IRF3707's read 48ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.