PUNCH pro-sound pa system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll second the rather cheap look to those Punch PA loudspeakers. Although those horns may or may not be Piezos ....the lower range those small horns will go will probably be around 3-3.5K....as such they will be putting lots of "stress" upon those big fifteens, trying to get up to 3K in frequency. While it might be "OK" for PA work...if you listen intently, voices and particular similar sources will sound "muddy" & rather in-accurate. A more suitable horn would be a rather large unit that would occupy the entire upper half of that enclosure with a 17" by 11" horn...or thereabouts.
To the original poster*** is this image we see, the set that you have??

_________________________________________________Rick............

Last edited:
Punch PA Speakers

I contacted the fellow who is selling them and he knows nothing about hifi - I want an inexpensive set of PA speaks for DJ use with my big heavies seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_gMRe8WOj8
(note the Carver cube was used just because I was too lazy to hall out my huge and heavy Pro Amp for the vid)

I want a smaller set of PA speaks to act as tops for these guys (using Pioneer HPM-100's but they ain't rugged enough although they do sound fabulous and easily keep up). Also want the smaller PA speaks to act as stand alones for House parties and small venues. The guy wants $100 CDN for two so I thought I would at least have a listen tomorrow (Sunday)

The other set of PA type speaks I was considering (remember inexpensive is the key word here) are these 15 inchers:
Behringer Eurolive 2-Way Passive Monitor Speaker (VS1520) : Monitors & Speakers - Future Shop

or these 12 inchers:
Behringer Eurolive 2-Way Passive Monitor Speaker (B212XL) : Monitors & Speakers - Future Shop

The Punch speakers at $100 would of course be a heck of a lot cheaper and I only gig about half a dozen times a year as it iis a fun hobby - any more and it would be too much like work ;-)
see
Copper Collar DJ and VJ Services#

I believe the original thread was about Punch PA Speakers - I am simply trying to determine whether they are any good (since I have an opportunity to buy a pair) or if I should go with other options. Sorry but was unaware everything had to be of a "Do It Yourself" nature. Will cease posting as I am a relative newbie to this site...

Those Punch Pro speakers won't sound anywhere near as good as those old Vegas you have for comparison, these things are just another "White Van" speaker with a car audio sub and a piezo horn crammed into an MDF box, sound can only be described as bad.

The B212 is the best of everything you have listed so far though it's still firmly planted in entry level PA gear territory, but add an 18" sub and you would have a pretty potent compact PA.

Punch speakers if you want to call them that was a line of ready made speaker cabinets along with inexpensive racks aimed at entry level pa market.
to the best of my recollection they went out of business in the late 80's early ninety's do to low sales.
i've seen a few punch products still in use and i used to own a half dozen of their racks for small rentals rigs.
being that they where primarily a wood working company the diy i guess will be too open them up to find out what there loaded with?!

Thanks Cal - much appreciated. Still a relative newb to posting on the site so I didn't want to ruffle any feathers. Saw the smile but thought I better play coy ;-)
Were you at the DIY Fest this year out in the highlands? I popped in for a day to ogle...
Loved all the home-made speakers there

Anyway back on topic - I think I will do the pass on the Punch speaks and I may go the B212. Just to be more confused I saw these though:
Jbl 515 powered 15 inch two way system speaker Esquimalt & View Royal, Victoria
I am now considering forsaking the power amp I have coming in the mail (Behringer inuke1000 and sell unopened at a slight loss) to go from passive to active speaks like these. Saw this review: Jbl 515 powered 15 inch two way system speaker Esquimalt & View Royal, Victoria
Should I stay the course or jump ship to the powered arrangement is my dilemna

My first clue I guess was the price would be grossly under retail if it were two speaks so I guess B212 it will be unless buddy surprises me with hos response and says it is for a pair and is cash strapped (doubtful). I did see these but they will likely be big and heavy for my aging back: JBL 15" WITH HORNS West Shore: Langford,Colwood,Metchosin,Highlands, Victoria

I guess the only DIY part to all this is the fact I did mount rubberized/lockable casters to the bottoms of my big bad Cerwin Vega PD-18's to give my back a break hauling them around ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.