• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hey George How About An SSE Phono Stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on my experience with you I'm sure it would be wonderful.

It has been on my list for a while, but I really hate to admit this......The best phono stage that I have made so far.......uses a chip. I think that the reason that it is so quiet is that it is mounted right inside the turntable.

Granted my vinyl playing capabilities isn't up to the standards of most audiophiles since I am still using the Technics turntable that I bought new in 1977 to replace my Garrard Zero-100.

I had a technics that I really enjoyed. Now I'm using an entry level Rega. I don't know that it is much better. I
I built a tube rectified 6dj8 phono preamp that sounded great, but lacked the gain that I needed. Also tried a solid state kit that I'm using now. It has great numbers on paper but lacks that air and magic that tubes give.
I am anxiously awaiting your offering.

you should look into the DIYTube Budgie. It uses the 6DJ8 for the phono stage, a second board can also be configured as a linestage using the 12B4. The linestage has a 7X gain but can be modified for as low as a 1x gain. I have my phono stage running through the linestage set at 1.5X gain. I compared it to my friends Marantz 7c and we both like the Budgie better. You should try it.

I have a Passdiy Pearl with the option of using the MC boards or Lundhall step-up transformers. It sounds great, but since I'm running tubes everywhere else, I've been looking long and hard at tube base phono stages… I have an Aikido Preamp with Janus power supply and since I like the sound, I am probably going to get one of John Broskie's kits either the Aikido or Tetra phono… If George built one I would certainly consider it too!

Nate

you should look into the DIYTube Budgie. It uses the 6DJ8 for the phono stage, a second board can also be configured as a linestage using the 12B4. The linestage has a 7X gain but can be modified for as low as a 1x gain. I have my phono stage running through the linestage set at 1.5X gain. I compared it to my friends Marantz 7c and we both like the Budgie better. You should try it.
Nice. I'll look at that for sure. What power supply?

The power supplys are two mean-well switch mode supplies. Shannon has them listed in his BOM along with all the other parts necessary to build the boards. He also has just released a phono-stage based on the budgie that is built and ready to plug and play. DIYTube.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.