Impulse type rotary switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I am not really sure. It has 3 inputs from a selector board. It is of a type thats is possible to continue turning. Evry time there is a little clic and another realay is turned on at the input board. It has a shaft and it is possible to mount it on the frontplate and put a knob on it.

And the seller tells me its a Impulse type selector. All I know this one is made at Samsung.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You probably have a rotary encoder. They look like a potmeter but have continuous rotation and give off two parallel impulses per step, usually gray code or something. Should have 3 connections but if it has a pushbutton action there will be two more pins.
Is there some info on the website where you bought it?
If it stops working that's odd, it would mean two failures at the same time. Did it ever work? Did you double check wiring from the encoder to the controller?

Anyway, they are easy to replace, there are two things you need to know (apart from physical like dimensions): how many indents (clicks per rotation) and how many pulses per rotation. These do not need to be the same -you can have 24 indents and 12 pulses per rotation for instance.

jan didden

You probably have a rotary encoder. They look like a potmeter but have continuous rotation and give off two parallel impulses per step, usually gray code or something. Should have 3 connections but if it has a pushbutton action there will be two more pins.
Is there some info on the website where you bought it?
If it stops working that's odd, it would mean two failures at the same time. Did it ever work? Did you double check wiring from the encoder to the controller?

Anyway, they are easy to replace, there are two things you need to know (apart from physical like dimensions): how many indents (clicks per rotation) and how many pulses per rotation. These do not need to be the same -you can have 24 indents and 12 pulses per rotation for instance.

jan didden

Have not seen this post. Thank you very much !

That is probably a rotary pulse encoder - it gives out two pulse trains 90 deg dealyed, to decode the direction, - typical 10-20 pulses pr rotation.

A gray coded encoder is another type of animal.... I've used quite a few of those, but I've never seen a 2-bit version.
That is of course not to say it doesn't exist, 'cause I ain't seen one.... :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.