Decent sounding mp3 player that plays FLAC and WMAL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a Sansa Clip+ a couple of years ago based on a recommendation from another audiophile. I've been pretty happy with it actually, although I haven't tried to play WMA files (I'll assume that's what you meant).
You can likely still find them although I think Sansa has released newer models since then.
Here's more info: SanDisk Sansa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck,
mlloyd1

I also got a Sansa clip+ about a year ago, It sounds great and it's very easy to use. I'm very happy with it.

In fact, I got it set up so I can feed it into my main home sys when I wish and MP3s never sounded so good .....to me anyway.

From the Sandisk site..... the Sansa Clip info on what it supports........
*Supports MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Audible, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, plus audio books and podcasts*

Sandisk now also has the "Sansa clip -Zip" but, I have not heard how good (or bad) it might be.

The one you do not want is the Sansa FUZE which is reported not to sound as good as as the other two.

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer-products/music-player

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the recommendations so far!

Just to clarify: WMAL = WMA lossless

I would like to use it in the car, as a portable and as a music server too.

Oh, and having an actual battery (battery dies, put in a new one--no recharge by USB) would be a bonus too.

Keep 'em comin'!

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
SD card in Sansa Clip+

I've got a 32GB card (the maximum) in my 8Gb Clip+, giving me 40Gb, which I need for my FLAC collection.

Ian

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The Sansa Clip Plus definitely looks like a good bang-for-buck ~$30-40!

Since the Sansa has a Micro SD card slot, does it really matter if I get the 2, 4 or 8 Gb one?

How large of an SD card can the Sansa take?

Cheers,
Jeff

Keep in mind that while lossless files will work, playing them shortens battery life quite considerably. On the Clip+, it's about 14 hours and change for mid-bitrate MP3/Vorbis with no extra storage, 12 hours with a µSD card inserted and about 7-8 hours playing FLAC (depending on bitrates). This is for Rockbox; in the OF even the presence of a µSD card about halves runtime.

Since FLAC has been shown to decode very efficiently, it has to be the increased storage access that's gnawing at battery life.

Therefore a lossy format may very well be the more practical option. Medium bitrates tend to be quite sufficient for first-generation encodes (I have been quite unable to ABX LAME -V 6 -q 0 versus lossless).

Oh, and whatever you do, feed a rockboxed player with 44.1 kHz material only.

The player could even take a 64 gig card provided it were reformatted in FAT32.

IIRC the 2 gig Clip+ exists in multiple versions with differing displays.

Last edited:
DAC wise, even the most basic DAPs seem to reach 89..90 dB SNR when measured (ones with fancier codecs fare better). In practical use, SNR is limited by PGA/headphone amp noise more often than not. Noise level evaluation still is best performed using sensitive IEMs.

Apple may not be publishing specs, but they do seem to be using good hardware. The iPhone 4, for example, is one of the few devices to be dead silent in terms of hiss while providing good distortion figures. Only the codec's headphone amp seems to be running out of steam sooner than some others. (Thankfully these iOS based devices do not seem to have inherited the crappy digital processing found in older models like the iPod Classic.)

Cowon are still sticking with capacitor-coupled outputs. As such, bass response is a bit of a problem when driving low-impedance IEMs, not to mention distortion introduced down there. It does allow them to post better SNR and THD values.

Something like a Clip+ / Clip Zip does not give top scores in any single discipline save for output resistance. It does have negligible digital filter passband ripple, a DC-coupled output and a headphone amp with plenty of grunt and acceptably low distortion, plus the option of running Rockbox on a current-production player is priceless.

cowon actually has tech specs for their products...S/N is 97-98db...most other products dont show squat. Maybe there is a reason for that? Even shitty apple doesnt show specs.

Even better, how about the full Rocketscientist/NwAvGuy test suite?

I like the rockboxed Clip+ so much that I got myself a second one, just in case :p

According to the good folks over on anythingbutipod.com, the + and Zip appear to be pretty much identical under the hood.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.