Semi'DIY - converting SIT2 to SIT 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being cheap and somewhat handy one considers getting an SIT 2 and then converting to SIT 1.

It would seem easy enough to add a power supply, getting two proper heatsinks and the resistors to replace the current source. Finding a meter could not be too difficult.

Almost forgot the potentiometer!

The trick will be knowing what to do.

Needless to say the finished product would not be anywhere as attractive as the real product but it could make a difference for the less well heeled.

Any chance of a project like this getting a semi-blessing from Mr. Pass?

Bye,

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I don't understand why someone would muck with a perfectly good amp made by Papa himself. Not only is it expensive, it is also a work of art. You don't go about adding brush strokes to a Picaso because it doesn't do enough for you, do you?

If you are so intent to play with SITs, why not follow the L'amp articles here and build something from scratch?

Also the SIT2 is a stereo amp, SIT1 are monoblocks. Have you figured out the logistics? It's going to be messy, not worth it in my mind.

That is a perfectly valid opinion

but there is the matter of five thousand dollars.

Somehow I feel messing around with an SIT1 is more like defacing a work of art. The SIT2's are a stepping stone to Pass's best expression, so far, of the technology.

So a better analogy would be adding pencil strokes to a sketch.

I have committed to getting a pair of SIT1's. My curiosity is for those who may not want to spend that much money.

If I thought those other projects would come close to the SIT1 I might pursue them but I feel confident they will not.

The idea was to get the best sound for the money. The idea being the amp could be returned to its original condition if that was wanted.

but there is the matter of five thousand dollars.

Somehow I feel messing around with an SIT1 is more like defacing a work of art. The SIT2's are a stepping stone to Pass's best expression, so far, of the technology.

So a better analogy would be adding pencil strokes to a sketch.

I have committed to getting a pair of SIT1's. My curiosity is for those who may not want to spend that much money.

If I thought those other projects would come close to the SIT1 I might pursue them but I feel confident they will not.

The idea was to get the best sound for the money. The idea being the amp could be returned to its original condition if that was wanted.

returned to its original condition? you are talking about doubling the size of the amp and adding dual mono power supplies at least, or monoblock chassis ideally. you would be a good way towards that price difference by the time you were done. Papa is definitely the master here and OMG those heatsinks are sexy, but anyone wanting to save that money who is competent at DIY should just build their own

Save what money? The Pass Sit-1 device apparently costs $5000(2X) and comes with an amplifier. The 2SK82 is no where near the same device? And comes with a wide tolerance, very little application guidence, and no garuntee you will have anything good sounding(other than a handfull of DIYers comments). What are you saying?
Unlike Piccaso, there are many copies of this amp, something like a repair if your "brush" screws something up is also infferred.
I can't afford this approach myself but, I can tell you, many competitors buy your stuff and take it apart to study and test it. Beleive me!
:D

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Rick,

Just go here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/201655-lamp-simple-sit-amp.html

This is the closest anyone will get to the sound of a SIT1 or 2 without shelling out the big cash.

and no garuntee you will have anything good sounding(other than a handfull of DIYers comments).

There is no guarantee everyone will like the SIT1 or SIT2 either.
I don't know anyone personally who's heard the SIT amps, so I'll stick with my fellow DIYers opinions on how the L'amp variations sound. ;)

Save what money? The Pass Sit-1 device apparently costs $5000(2X) and comes with an amplifier. The 2SK82 is no where near the same device? And comes with a wide tolerance, very little application guidence, and no garuntee you will have anything good sounding(other than a handfull of DIYers comments). What are you saying?
Unlike Piccaso, there are many copies of this amp, something like a repair if your "brush" screws something up is also infferred.
I can't afford this approach myself but, I can tell you, many competitors buy your stuff and take it apart to study and test it. Beleive me!
:D

I wasnt suggesting money could be saved to get the same result; i'm not qualified to comment there. i'm on record here at the forum many times telling people who have joined and with the intention to DIY with the main intention being to save money, that this is folly and mostly not on the cards. the main reasons being to have fun making it and being in charge to spend the money and focus attention on the aspects that matter most to you.

I only meant if he didnt have the money (seems like the only reason one would even consider such an endeavor as the thread subject) he could perhaps do something DIY that might get close with other (mostly NOS) devices; something like the amps mentioned above. As you say the device is not even available, so DIYing the amp is not a possibility

Last edited:
It was an idea, I have ordered a pair of SIT1's

I guess that was missed.

But the point was that for those who are already doing DIY projects it is just as likely the parts needed are laying about.

This would not be a starter project. I have been doing DIY stuff for twenty years. When it comes to unobtanium output devices I think this is a way to take it to its designers best expression with less money. I suspect there are many of us with cases and transformers in our inventory. I know I have those along with appropriate heatsinks. Nonetheless I am buying the real thing because I am lazy. I am spending more time with speakers and PC audio and there is only so much of that stuff.

I agree that DIY is not necessarily cheap but one can save money and take their time in assembling the project and not spend all of the money at once.

I think it is a valid idea especially when there is a device that is not available anywhere else.

I would think carefully implemented there is no reason the amp could not be reassembled as it was with no harm done. I think this could be a useful project for someone as described above.

O.K. I guess he just want's to attempt to improve the stereo version by rebuilding it into 2 mono versions? :confused:

yes it appears so and I agree :confused:

I assumed to save money, all too common a reason for people being attracted to DIY and my point was if thats your reason, best pick another pursuit and particularly in this case. there are great reasons to diy and thats not really one of them IMO because its rarely the case, particularly if you place any value on your time. We get many members joining here thinking that they can somehow make something amazing with no experience, no proper tools etc and very little money, you know because theres nothing to it but a flashy case right?

rickmcinnis: i'm not referring to you specifically in my elaboration there, obviously you have another objective/angle as well and yes you can do it in stages thats a valid point. Still dont understand the point of doing this particular project though

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Being cheap and somewhat handy one considers getting an SIT 2 and then converting to SIT 1.

It would seem easy enough to add a power supply,
getting two proper heatsinks and the resistors to replace the current source. Finding a meter could not be too difficult.

Almost forgot the potentiometer!

The trick will be knowing what to do.

Needless to say the finished product would not be anywhere as attractive as the real product but it could make a difference for the less well heeled.

Any chance of a project like this getting a semi-blessing from Mr. Pass?

Bye,

Hi rickmcinnis, :D
I understand your intention but there are some difficult points....
the two power supplies of SIT-2 and SIT-1 will have very different voltages and other differences, look at the pictures at 6moons.
SIT-2 has the classic two rectifiers setup and I suppose about 48V.
The SIT-1 seems to have only one rectifier and a voltage of about 100V for the PSU.
(A voltage a SK82 will not manage, unfortunately, so our obtainable SITS will have less power)

and you need a complete second case because the thick film resistor solution of the SIT-1 will need two of the heatsinks for one channel (right heatsink for the SIT and left heatsink for the heat of the resistors....

But nevertheless to buy a SIT-2 seems to be the cheapest solution to get two Papa SITs.:D:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.