• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The P10-hifi web site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Planet10, why don't you have an amazon store? No offense but your website looks a little "weird". :D

It is important for me to reach out and touch our customers...

The website is in need of a make-over (remember the showmaker's son), but it will remain simple, viewable with any browser, and its prime orientation to supply inforformation.

What do you find weird?

dave

What do you find weird?

dave

Well, it doesn't look like a regular store. You have to click around to find something. Like, if you clicked on a let's say "Mark Audio" link, then it would be useful to see pictures of the plat packs or pair of speakers then the price next to it.

For the Fonkens for example, I just find confusing. It would be cool to see let's say "Fonken, Prime Fonken, MilliFonken, uFonken etc" with pictures and drivers used, number of liters and dimensions right underneath one by one. And then the "updates" written in red that are from a while ago no longer seem like updates if it's been a while.

I don't know, it's just a general feeling I get on the site. For whatever reason, it just looks disorganized and a little odd. :snoopy:

While there is a commercial aspect to the site, there is an incredible amount of free and useful information. I think that's worth a fair bit of slack. I'd rather see Dave's time spent with new designs rather than a slick web site.

In my case at least, Dave has been very responsive with commercial dealings.

Well, it doesn't look like a regular store. You have to click around to find something. Like, if you clicked on a let's say "Mark Audio" link, then it would be useful to see pictures of the plat packs or pair of speakers then the price next to it.

For the Fonkens for example, I just find confusing. It would be cool to see let's say "Fonken, Prime Fonken, MilliFonken, uFonken etc" with pictures and drivers used, number of liters and dimensions right underneath one by one. And then the "updates" written in red that are from a while ago no longer seem like updates if it's been a while.

I don't know, it's just a general feeling I get on the site. For whatever reason, it just looks disorganized and a little odd. :snoopy:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx for the feedback.

Well, it doesn't look like a regular store. You have to click around to find something.

That it doesn't look like a regular storefront is good, it isn't a storefront -- i find most of those really annoying... there is a pricelist, which has pricing and is the most up-to-date page on the sitr.

The Mark Audio page in prticular needs work

It has grown and been renovated over & over, and is a bit disorganized i admit. Odd perhaps because i won't settle for the usual template driven drek you are probably used to.

Most people just email (ie reach out & touch) or ask questions on the p10-hifi forum where a lot of the more contemporary info has migrated.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
d rather see Dave's time spent with new designs rather than a slick web site.

Thanx... that is much how i set my priorities. And working to get product out to customers, i always seem to be behind.

I am now training a new part-time person to take over some of the more mundane tasks to free up my time for those things i still need to do myself.

dave

Well, fakeout, it seems that you are looking for a slick site with lots of eye candy. There's a reason that Dave's site, and my own for that matter, look plain and simple. Putting in all that Flash and multimedia takes a lot of time or a lot of money. Us poor guys that are operating on a shoestring can't afford either. So the site is plain, simple and straight forward. You really object to clicking on links rather than pulling down menus?

Bob

Both P10 and Bob's site have something more personalized and "organic" about them which isn't the case with the general commercial websites. At times there's a story behind a particular speaker design. :)

A bit "odd" or unusual, but I like it better the way it is. Maybe a site "blog" can further enhance the websites, but both P10 and Bob are active on diyAudio (and other forums too) and the interaction with the DIY community is very healthy. And as Dave mentioned most of the contemporary stuff, happenings and others are on the Planet10 section of this forum.

Last edited:
straight forward. Bob

I'm not making personal attacks here. I said it was weird and Planet10 asked me to explain myself so I gave my opinion.

I don't think it's straight forward. Even without pictures, I think there could be way more straight-forward ways of listing ideas, plans etc. I'm too sleepy for now to say more but that's all anyway because the fact is, I don't know how he would want to organize his ideas.

I'm not making personal attacks here. I said it was weird and Planet10 asked me to explain myself so I gave my opinion.

I don't think it's straight forward. Even without pictures, I think there could be way more straight-forward ways of listing ideas, plans etc. I'm too sleepy for now to say more but that's all anyway because the fact is, I don't know how he would want to organize his ideas.

dude: do you mind if I ask your real name? it just feels more real and organic to discourse at that level

first; the "commercial" site is intentionally not not a conventional retail storefront (thereby hangs a very long story)

second; I've been working with Dave for over 10yrs and can tell you that for all of that time the "commercial" business has been pulling itself up by its bootstraps - try that sometime - and as Bob notes , all the Turkish coffee that the human digestive system can endure notwithstanding, the time and financial investment required for one guy to maintain a glossy, live, interactive web-based storefront is simply inhuman & impractical

third; I get as confused and frustrated as anyone - and see #2 above - to paraphrase the old joke, "if I had a nickel of equity for every line of broken code or typographic error...." :rolleyes:

fourth; if you have specific questions, I'd wager that on most days a direct inquiry via the commercial site contact e-mail would yield a prompter response than many storefronts

fifth; I'm not sure that not even Dave really knows how he wants to "organize his ideas" - and see #2 above

Last edited:
My real name. Uh, the only problem is, usually I can stay calm for months and months then well, I've had some situations where I flipped off a little on the net. So, I'm not sure I want to give my name.

In any case, I wasn't asking for glossy, flashy,...
I just thought the site was confusing. But it's like...(whoops, there's no smiley for beating a dead horse).

My real name. Uh, the only problem is, usually I can stay calm for months and months then well, I've had some situations where I flipped off a little on the net. So, I'm not sure I want to give my name.

fair enough - stay on your meds :rolleyes:

In any case, I wasn't asking for glossy, flashy,...
I just thought the site was confusing. But it's like...(whoops, there's no smiley for beating a dead horse).
like I said last night (a warning on the risks of late night grain ethanol influenced typing) - the site grew ("evolved" is debatable ;) ) over a period of probably 15yrs from what would be today described as a personal blog & resource sharing locus with graphic content, to the finely tuned mechanism you see today :D

thanks to the internet many hobbyists have stumbled into commercial ventures with varying degrees of success and exposure, and while I can't be entirely objective about this one, I find a certain degree of charm in its personality and idiosyncrasies

I'm sure that PETA would object to that smilie

now, where there some specific questions not yet answered?

The price list is good, but you should include the relative portion of the price list on each product page.

So if I click on Fostex I get some of the information about the Fostex drivers and what you have and such. When I scroll to the bottom, it would be good to see the Fostex portion of the price list there.

Also, I see you have a driver colours link started. Which will help once you organize that. But you need to add some examples of your "it's not easy being green" thread to your website. But in a more organized manner than a thread. And the driver colours link should be on the home page, not under Fostex. It might go undetected otherwise.

All just suggestions.

The coloured drivers thing really strikes a note with me. And others my age (as you know with what I just ordered). I would try and expand on that a lot. But I'm biased here. Neon green speakers are right up my ally. Dedicate a section to that. Not just a tab under Fostex (but I already said that). Combinations of dot colours and cone colours are very added value when I consider your product.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.