• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pensil vs. FH3 with Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have picked up a pair of Alpair 7.3 and must now decide on a cabinet design. The amp is a JE Labs design SET using KT90 in place of EL34, probably putting out 8W. I typically listen to jazz trios, female vocals, folk music, but also enjoy Zeppelin and Pearl Jam when the mood strikes....

The room is 14 x 18 and opening into a smaller dining room on one end. WAF will be a factor. I have a woodworking shop so other designs are possible.

Thought I would seek advice before I start the saw.

John

They are both good. I'd personally choose FH3 -- you should ask the wife which one she likes.

dave

Note that we have both here.

the Pensils are a pretty darn simple build, but I'd agree that if WAF approved, the FH3 would be my choice between the 2

I have Pensils in one of my own systems - and as much as mrs B likes the look of the FH3, they're only good for short visits and demos - they don't "disappear" enough

there is a builder's photo gallery that you might want to show your wife

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199849-frugel-horn-mk3-picture-gallery.html

now if she's a music lover show her this post in particular:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199849-frugel-horn-mk3-picture-gallery-5.html#post2951478

Last edited:
That sounds like a good recommendation! Would there be a significant change in bass response if I used a "fonken-style" cab? I confess to liking strong, but well defined, bass at times.

John

"MarKen" would have perhaps more "finesse" from the lower mid-bass down, but lack the impact and weight of either the Pensil or FH3 with the 7.3 - I can definitely see many folks sensing the need for woofers with the MarKens.

Pensil vs Mar-Ken

After comparing the Pensils and the Marken 10.2 directly in the same system I am more impressed with the Mar-Ken. The reason is that it gives better cone control and sounds great within it's entire range. Although the pensils can go a little lower and with more efficiency, the extra range offered is not really worth tackling with this driver in my opinion. Especially considering the use of lower power amps. Of course it depends on your system, I use mine for music and home theater. Movies tend to be unpredictable in the bass region requiring the use of a high pass filter. In this situation the pensils are overkill, but they are floorstanding which may be a major advantage. Somehow the Mar-Ken cabinet flattens the impedance on the driver a lot. For me with my DSP this was a huge advantage that ultimately allowed the amplifier to push the extra power to the driver's low end to produce the sweetest sound I have heard from this driver. If I were to do it all over again, I would use the 7.3 mar-ken high passed at 60hz with a powered subwoofer.

I still need to hear this FH3 so no comment on that.

After comparing the Pensils and the Marken 10.2 directly in the same system I am more impressed with the Mar-Ken. The reason is that it gives better cone control and sounds great within it's entire range. Although the pensils can go a little lower and with more efficiency, the extra range offered is not really worth tackling with this driver in my opinion. Especially considering the use of lower power amps. Of course it depends on your system, I use mine for music and home theater. Movies tend to be unpredictable in the bass region requiring the use of a high pass filter. In this situation the pensils are overkill, but they are floorstanding which may be a major advantage. Somehow the Mar-Ken cabinet flattens the impedance on the driver a lot. For me with my DSP this was a huge advantage that ultimately allowed the amplifier to push the extra power to the driver's low end to produce the sweetest sound I have heard from this driver. If I were to do it all over again, I would use the 7.3 mar-ken high passed at 60hz with a powered subwoofer.

I still need to hear this FH3 so no comment on that.

yup, that's pretty much what we've said about the Fon / Mar ken style cabinet vs more standard BR or even most MLTL implementations; while the latter types can squeeze more weight / impact / slam - pick your favorite descriptor- the resistance of the multiple high aspect ratio ports, coupled with the inherently high degree of bracing and small enclosure dimensions compared to a floorstander MLTL go a long way to resolving finer texture of inner detail and "DDR" (to use a "Dlugism" )

I'd experiment as high as 120Hz when using the 7.3 in a HT system

The FH3 is a completely different kettle of fish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.