irfp054n sub irfp064n?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am sure that I already know the answer but I'll ask optimistically anyways.

Hear is the deal- I have a MA Audio HK2000d. i snagged this amp for a birthday gift for my best friend. It does have 8x irfp064n (4+4) power fets and i found 1 of them shorted, so I clipped it out and the amp powered up and played fine. it is rated 1800wrms with 160a of fusing.
the problem-
I mistakenly ordered extra irfp054n's with my order for the kicker zr's, and did not noticed that i needed 64's, not 54's in this amp. i have it torn down on the bench, and no time to wait for another shipment to show up (i fly back to work on wed.)
the question- will the 54's survive or have issues as subs? how much current do you think 8 of them can handle? i may sub them and have him run the amp at 4ohm if need-be, then swap them out next month. i can also fuse the amp down to 120a or 100a to protect the fets atm. I'm sure he could use the amp right away.
thank you in advance-
-Heath H-

I would suggest you use the correct device in the power supply. Altering the amps main fusing will not alter the 054 mosfet from running past its limitations. I keep both items in stock myself because PG used 054's in most gear and I upgrade them to 064N's just to add robustness to my workmanship when the amps owner allows such mods...:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.