My Scan-Speak 3way Tower (Avalon Isis alike)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I post a topic on the construction of my new loudspeakers. It's basically a mix between Zaph ZRT and Troels Gravesen Jensen.

I was going to build the Jensen and then I had a good oportunity on a RME 9632 sound card with extension at a low price, then I went for active crossover and used a pair of 6600 aircirc tweeters I already had.

The drivers used for this project are:

tweeter - Scan-Speak AirCirc 6600
midwoofer - Scan-Speak 18w8531g00
woofer - Scan-Speak 26w8861T00

The design:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Building in progress:

Last edited:
Congratulations,

Very nice wood working! :)

What kind of CAD program are you using for the enclosure drawings?

Is there any special reason for having the top enclosure tilted forward, besides the looks?

I realize that you are going for an active design where you possibly have the ability to time delay the tweeter to the mid-woofer, but if you had a passive design in mind you would have a challenge to get the cross-over to work.

Please let us see more pictures as your build progresses.

Regards

/Göran

Thanks for your comment gornir!

I'm using autocad to make plans and then google sketchup for 3d rendering. About the top enclosure the tweeter is at 1.10 meters so the inclinaison (4°) is to bring back the directivity aligned with my listening position. (~90/95cm)

I knew I had the possibility to play with delay so that's why I did it. Of course I wouldn't do it with a passive crossover ;)

I went on your website and found your grand reference project that looks really close to mine.

Are you set on the drivers you're gonna use for this project?

I´m still sketching it up, but probably it will be two different versions of the “Reference” model and with two different tweeter options each:

Here is the setup I’m sketching right now:

Tweeters:
RAAL Ribbon 140-15D optional ScanSpeak D3004/660000 AirCirc

Mids:
ScanSpeak 15W/4531G00 optional AudioTechnology C-Quenze 15H521206SDKM

Woofers:
2x SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 optional 2x ScanSpeak 22W/8857T00

The drivers marked in bold text is the most likely first setup. The woofers will most likely be configured in a closed box setup and possibly with some EQ and room compensation in the low frequency.

The enclosure will most likely be divided into three separate enclosures for each driver e.g. tweeter, mid, woofer and with a baffle replacement system in order to easily swap drivers without the need to rebuild the entire enclosure.

With three different boxes for the drivers I will also be able to mechanical adjust and compensate for the drivers acoustic centers off-sets.

Regards

/Göran

Avalon Isis
1" Diamond Tweeter
7" Ceramic midrange(closer to 6.5")
two 13" Nomex-Kevlar woofers
SENSITIVY = 90 db/watt
Impedance 4 ohms
Frequency resonse 20Hz - 45KHz
Dimensions: H=60", W=14.5", D=17"
Weight = 210 lbs each

The Avalon Isis was designed by the genius Charles Hansen. The cabinet shape can trace its origins to Harry Olson's 1953 paper on reducing diffraction by using a truncated pyramid on parallelopiped shape. Charles believes in sealed woofers tuned to Qtc between 0.5 - 0.6. Ihe Isis uses two 13" woofers with 8 ohms, wired in parallel for a 4 ohms load to obtain 90 db/watt efficiency after baffle step compensation is provided. The Isis Accuton diamond tweeter has a 92db/watt sensitivity. In my opinion, the Isis Accuton 92.5 db/watt C173-6-096E ceramic midbass is the key driver in the design because of it provides both wide bandwidth and high detail resolution. I have not found a 6.5" - 7" 92 db/watt alternative with similar BW and detail. I've been using the 8" Tang Band W8-1808. The Acoustic Elegance Lambda 6.5" and future 8" are under "watch for future production" dreaming.

Accuton 7" midbass highlights:
= 7 inch bass-midrange with high efficiency for 3 way designs
= large sized voice coil with 55mm titanium voice coil former for high midrange resolution
= big, underhung 120mm Neodymium magnet system for very low distortion
= Anti-resonant cutout fills in the ceramic dome provide high damping of the 5 kHz dome resonance

Closed Box design parameters:
Vb: 4.1L, -18dB @ 40Hz, F-3dB: 175Hz, Q: 0.50 (clean transient response)
====================

Your 92.5 db/watt at 4 ohms Scan-Speak AirCirc 6600 tweeter would be an execllent choice.

Your 87 db/watt at 8 ohm Scan-Speak 18w8531g00 midwoofer might be better replaced with the 90db/watt 4 ohm 18w4351G/

In the USA, the 6.5" Acoustic Elegance Lambda TD6M-8 would be a consideration also.
T/S Parameters
Fs: 83hz
Qms: 3.1
Vas: 10.3L
Cms: .45mm/N
Mms: 8.2 g
Rms: 1.38kg/s
Xmax: 3.3mm
xmech: 7mm
Sd: 127 sqcm
Qes: .46
Re: 6.1ohm
Le: .044mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 7.5 Tm
Pe: 100W
Qts: .4
qW SPL: 93.5dB
2.83V: 94.5dB

Attachments

• isis102.jpg
    isis102.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,257
ShinOBIWAN in the UK is using the OEM limited RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter. The shorter physical height plus wider ribbon might be a better match for a 7" midbass than the production RAAL 70-15D you are considering. You can send him a PM for additional information and purchasing options.

Your Scan-Speak AirCirc 6600 dome tweeter is a very, very good choice, but part of DIY is dreaming.

Attachments

• RAAL70-20_03.jpg
    RAAL70-20_03.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,225
  • RAAL70-20_04.jpg
    RAAL70-20_04.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,186
Here is the top box.

I don't have pictures of finnished woofer box but i'll post them as soon as painting will be done ;)

And this is some painting test:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.