It begins... gainclones on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LOL...

I was wondering when this would happen. Now I only have two questions:

1) Where is the volume knob(s)? Are we assumed to have an attenuator in our preamp, or are the vol pots extra at $500?

2) Which of the DIYAudio regulars is doing this (it is obvious, with the language and ref's to Peter's amps) and will he own up to it?

GrahamnDodder said:
LOL...

I was wondering when this would happen. Now I only have two questions:

1) Where is the volume knob(s)? Are we assumed to have an attenuator in our preamp, or are the vol pots extra at $500?

2) Which of the DIYAudio regulars is doing this (it is obvious, with the language and ref's to Peter's amps) and will he own up to it?

All intriguing questions, but more than that reveals a trend that IMO has already marked the demise of the big audio companies except the 3 or 4 companies that make digital sources and AV receivers. The trend is that more and more people are becoming more and more shameless. There is room for plenty of dudes with no formal training, no instrumentation to guide them slapping/swapping components togheter until they think they get the best sound, and plenty more gonzos just ready and willing to eat up all the BS. What better product than the gaincard/gainclone to play this type of games?
The bottom line is who cares if some fortune seeker wants a shot at the big time won't be the first or the last? In this climate he/she will likely succeed.

Yeah, until he gets a loose connection on a power rail that sends a few hundred DC mv's to his customers high-end speakers.

Remember, these things have no speaker protection. It is one thing to crank them out in a controlled manufacturing environment, but from an unknown builder on Ebay? If I am working without a net, I want to pack my own parachute. Or at least to know a company would be standing behind the work. My board version had an intermittent connection on V+ on a channel that would have fried my good speakers.

Maybe someone should e-mail him and ask how that amp would sound with their $50,000.00+ JMLab Grand Eutopia speakers....:bigeyes: :bawling:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
grataku said:
There is room for plenty of dudes with no formal training, no instrumentation to guide them slapping/swapping components togheter until they think they get the best sound, and plenty more gonzos just ready and willing to eat up all the BS. What better product than the gaincard/gainclone to play this type of games?
The bottom line is who cares if some fortune seeker wants a shot at the big time won't be the first or the last? In this climate he/she will likely succeed.

isn't that pretty much what's going on in rip-off, urh, I meant "high-end", audio and to some extent here? People are essentially selling unfound claims, doubius benefits (anyone heard of '9-mm signal length'? or Egyptian maple casing) at sky-high prices.

And people buy that sort of things too.

It is just that this time, this particular guy was undercutting everybody else (that is in this "high-end" audio business), :)

Is it priced Ok?

At the risk of being mowed down, let me first lock myself in my 10 foot thick ( wall thickness!) shelter !!!!

MAYBE the "maker" has spent lots of 'Time' and 'money' to make that unit. Lots of listening time and tearing of the (grey) hairs to determine what sounds best. Possibly it does sound great.

IF IT DOES it is probably worth every penny. Remember that this is on Ebay and NOT meant for a DIY person.
So congratulations to him for getting a buyer who respects his product. I assume that he MUST have spent LOTS of expensive TIME developing this product. If so , he deserves the price. Wouldn't you ? if you spent a lot of time and money building a great sounding amp ?????

Cheers.

What's the big deal?

I don't see what the big deal is, this guy built something and wants to sell it. Good luck to him. I think its great.

That said, I'm kinda new to DIY, so maybe there is some kind of unwritten rule or something that I don't know about. However, people sell thier stuff here all the time, so I don't see what the difference is because one person happens to be using ebay.

this is a very good point.

beauty, as well as value, is in the eye of the beholder. if he is an amateur (which, by looking at that "case" seems to be the, er, uh, case), he very well could have invested quite a bit of time into that project.

i think its funny that he's trying to sell it at such a high price only for the fact that if it were me, i would be relatively embarassed asking so much. i i had built it (regardless of time spent), i wouldnt ask much over $100 just because it doesnt look all that hot. this is really because my standards are much higher than his.

however, i think he is unjust in not fully disclosing the possible dangers of his amp. he should really come forward and say it like it is. also, he should have a lot more documentation. i didnt see how big the power supply was, etc. even to some consumers this would be important. the ad reads like he really doesnt know what he built, other than its the same thing as something else that sold for a lot more.

fcserei said:
So what is the difference between a $500 ripoff selling on ebay and a $1750 ripoff selling over the internet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.