• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Push Pull Low Freq Humming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, all diyers.
Recently I just completed my EL84 push pull amp which drive by 7044. It sound great & so natural. BUT it have low freq humming when I closer my ear to the speaker around 1 ft. I wouder where did the humming came from since I already having 2 stage of RC filter in PS. And all the signal wire did not cross over the heater wire or AC wire.
Could somebody provide me an advise.......

EL84 hum

You don't mention rectifier, I presume it's EZ81 or sim. One side could be down or soggy. As per other suggestions, also check you have the correct value interstage caps fitted (from phase splitter or between driver tubes) as too high LF feedback can create a form of sub harmonic motorboating aggravated at line frequency. This is rare.

I've had this problem on a large amp using an aged 5U4.. That fault was assymetrical value 100Hz in the B+ choke, the pulsing stray magnetic field finding it's way in the input stage.
r):

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.