T amp what should I choose ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am completly new to the T amps and even in hifi in general. But I love music (especially Rock, classic, jpop) and I am currectly using the PC speakers logitech Z506 . But I would like to go for the hifi since they sound better . And I heard that using T amp to connect the Hifi's speakers to the PC (sound card : Xonar DX) was a good solution. After some research I came with these :
Poppulse T70i 2x70W,
TOPPING TP22 TK2050 T-AMP 2X30W
SA-50 50Wx2 TDA7492,
TOPPING TP20 MK2 TA2020 +,
Lepai LP2020A+
But I don't really know what to choose. I plan to connect them with one of these speakers :
Eltax monitor I or III, Monitor MR2, JBL ES30, Cabasse MT30 Antigua, KEF iQ10 Wharfedale Diamond ,Mission MX-S, Monitor Audio Bronze MR2
I admit I still don't know what speakers to choose yet :eek: . One thing about me is that what I prefer in a song is the voices so the mid range .
Do you have any advice in what T amp I should choose please ?

Another question : knowing I am from Europe, do I need an adaptator to use them ?

Your choice of T-amp depends on a few factors such as your listening room, type of speakers, type of music, etc. Also, the quality of internal components varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so you have to do some research. I have owned several Topping amps and found the craftsmanship is excellent along with exceptional sound reproduction. I presently use the Topping TP20 MK2 TA2020 and I love the sound quality. PopPulse is another quality brand; in my larger system I use (2) T-150 Pro amps in a 150 wpc mono block configuration and they really sound amazing.
As for speakers, I myself have found that full range drivers are the best choice for tripath amps. But speaker choices are definitely a personal preference. I am running 88dB Merrill full range drivers in bass reflex cabinets with a 2-inch port and friends are convinced I'm running a sub woofer when they hear my T-amps played through them.
In regards to power adapters for Europe, most Topping units (except for larger TP60) use 12vdc adapter. I ALWAYS toss the cheap wall adapter and use a dc regulated power supply such as a IPC RSP-512T; it will improve overall sound quality significantly. For even better sound accuracy, I have switched to using a sealed lead acid battery and a floating charger. After switching to the battery, I was amazed at the improvement in sound accuracy.

Thank you MrKTrout for your advices ^_^,
As for me I am in a 18m² and I listen music at a normal volume ( well not loud) .
The speakers are bookshelf speakers .
For the T150 pro it costs 175 euros so it's a bit out of my budget ^^
And for the Topping TP20 MK2 TA2020 it is one of the T amp that i would kile to buy, but in the specs it is written Output Power 2 x 12W @ 8ohm, and most of the speakers have a nominal impedence of 8 ohms is that an issue ?
Otherwise what do you think of the TOPPING TP22 TK2050 ?

---------------------------

The speakers are bookshelf speakers
I found Cabasse on your listing. These would be my first choice and for you french I think they could be purchased as used gear a bit cheaper in france. You live in france, right ?

But when 175 euros are out of your budget why looking on cabasse ? Cabasse makes no cheap speakers. I own a pair of fantastic classic Cabasse Iroise. They rock and believe me - also with an TA2020. Why ? Standspeakers generally need less power for bass section than bookshelfs and my tip: go better for the more powerful Tripaths though the TA2020 should work.

Last edited:
@TheDealer Thanks for your advice ^_^, well 175 euros is out of budget only for the ampli, I can spend 180/200 euros for the speakers .Right now someone accepted to sell me the Cabasse MT30 Antigua for 185 euros but I had no news for 2 days T_T. That's why I am thinking of buying the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 since it seems they can be put somewhere with wall just behind (my desk) .
I taught that since TK2050 was newer than the TA2020, it would be better but after reading many forums it doesn't seem to be the case .In term of power it would be SMSL SA-50 50WX2 TDA7492 but it is not TA2020 .

Warfedale is also not a bad choice but I would try to get the cabasse in your case. For bookshelf speaker type I would go for a hifimediy T1 (with battery supply) , Topping Tp-60 or the Hlly tamp 90. Regarding support you can really forget Hlly. So you can generally hope that everything is O.K. with a Tripath amp when bought from a chinese dealer. About Topping's service I cannot say something because never bought an amp from this brand. Only heard and read from people that the Tp 60 is a good sounding and powerful Tripath.

PopPulse is another quality brand; in my larger system I use (2) T-150 Pro amps in a 150 wpc mono block configuration and they really sound amazing.
Fine to read that.
I own one model of the first series (T-70) with digital volume display.
Tripath Verstärker Tests und Hörberichte

It has a really smooth sound overall but lacks definetly a bit bass performance. I would describe it a bit spongy like tube amps. But in the following diyaudio topic there are clear statements to improve the sound quality into much higher level:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/119809-poppulse-t-amp-remote-modding.html

If I have the time soon I will go for a modding project and compare it with other Tripaths and very good classic solid state amps ...

Warfedale is also not a bad choice but I would try to get the cabasse in your case. For bookshelf speaker type I would go for a hifimediy T1 (with battery supply) , Topping Tp-60 or the Hlly tamp 90. Regarding support you can really forget Hlly. So you can generally hope that everything is O.K. with a Tripath amp when bought from a chinese dealer. About Topping's service I cannot say something because never bought an amp from this brand. Only heard and read from people that the Tp 60 is a good sounding and powerful Tripath.

I just ordered TP-60 from PE for my main (apartment) sys that includes these speakers along with a sub.....
Dayton Audio RS621CBK Speaker Kit Pair Curved Gloss Black 302-961

I'm currently using an AudioSource "Amp100" which is an inexpensive but, somewhat mediocre sounding amp.

However, yesterday, after connecting my "Lepai 2020+" amp to my system as an experiment, I realized just how bad the AudioSource is compared to the Lepai.

Anyway, I should have it in a few days. :)

Last edited:
For less than $25US the Lepai 2020A+ it is an impressive little amp.
Like I said, I tried it with relatively inefficient speakers and was very impressed.

The Topping PS-60 with the 2022 chip and (and other goodies) is about $275US!
It might be overkill for your purposes. However, if money is no object, the PT-60 is probably one of the best T amps available.

The 2020 and 2022 chips reportedly sound very simular but the 2022 chip will enable higher wattage output.

IMO, if you are going to use it for PC sound in a small room with efficient speakers, the Lepai 2020a+ is probablly all you would need.

Last edited:
I recently discovered T-class amps, I liked the small size and low power usage.

I bought an SMSL SA-S1 TA2020 from ebay for £34 and used an existing 12V 5A PSU.
I compared this with my Cambridge Audio A1 MK3 SE, I couldn't notice any drop in sound quality.

I was tempted by the more powerful TA2021, but all the reviews said the TA2020 sounded better.

It's connected to a Marantz CD-67SE and Mordaunt Short Avant 902i speakers, the volume and bass is amazing for the size of the amplifier. The 89db sensitivity of my speakers probably makes a difference with regards to volume.

I'm impressed!

I have owned more than one Topping and never had any quality issues. Photos of the interior reveal quality components and assembly. As for speakers, I am using 88dB Merrill full range drivers which sound amazing. My experience has shown that full range drivers are the optimum speaker for lower wattage tripath amps while the larger tripaths have no problems with other 2- and 3-way speakers. Having said this, my Topping TP20 MK2 will drive my 1973 Klipsch Heresy I's with no problem at all.

BTW anyone know if it's safe to bi-wire using a single TA2020 amp?
I know I'll need to connect two cables into each banana plug.

Just wondering if it would make any difference on a low power amp like this?

I'm not sure bi-wiring will really be an advantage since intermodulation between drivers is most often corrected with a properly designed crossover.
You can read more here:
Bi-wire, not only an advantage

Having had to retun my Topping TP-60 to PE due to massive RF inteference on the FM band, I might try the Topping TP20-MK2 next if it is determined that all TP-60s have the same problem.
I called PE today and they will test the amp and then test another PT-60 to see what the problem is reguarding the RF interference.

The PT-60 does not have any FCC compliant labels on them and PE seems to be the sole US importer of them They might not even be legal to sell in the US.

At least the PT-20 has a FCC compliant outboard PS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.