Multichannel usb -> i2S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Are there any solutions for a 5.1 channel USB -> I2S converter that isn't $100's+?
If not are there any PC drivers that can connect to say 3 stereo USB -> I2S devices and appear as a single 5.1 channel device?
Edit - Windows XP

Last edited:
Are there any solutions for a 5.1 channel USB -> I2S converter that isn't $100's+?

Not that I know of.

If not are there any PC drivers that can connect to say 3 stereo USB -> I2S devices and appear as a single 5.1 channel device?

If you use OSX you can aggregate multiple sound interface devices. The Problem you've not considered is the clock synch between the 3 stereo usb->i2s devices will be problematic.

There is no free lunch in multichannel usb audio.

All adaptive USB cards run synchronously since they are timed from clock in the PC. If I really wanted to make sure, I would use an add-on PCI USB controller with 4 outputs which has a single chip (mostly VIA VT6212) and a single crystal. This way I would know all the four usb ports share a single clock.

4 cards hooked to these ports can be merged in software to form a single virtual device - in linux, osx. There may be even some tools in windows, no experience.

Of course using a single multichannel device is much more convenient :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.