• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

pp KT88, IT phase splitter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
after a long year, i just now got one "some what" button up so here's the update.

PP KT88 IT phase splitter MONO BLOK, cathode bias for now, 6n6p driver tube.

B+1 = 573v

cathode V = 63v (573v-63v = 509v plate Voltage) @ 126ma / 2 = 63ma per tube.

B+2 = 123v

cathode v = 3.39 @ 23ma

im hoping this is pretty close to my goal of running class A.
if im missing something please let me know.

as of firing it up there were no hum what so ever, sounds clean and tight, i only play it long enough for testing.

BTW: i hve the tube rec on pic but are using Solid state Rec for now, have not yet decide till its all done.

Attachments

• DSC01391.jpg
    DSC01391.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,001
  • DSC01387.jpg
    DSC01387.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 956
im hoping this is pretty close to my goal of running class A.
That's a very nice looking amplifier. A traditional style that's right up my alley. But in my book, 500 volts at 63mA is class AB not A, assuming you're talking about the output stage. You would have to increase the current substantially and lower the voltage to run class A and stay within the KT-88's dissipation. But that sort of defeats the advantage of a PP output stage.

Thank you all for the great comments!

@Tim, Very nice amplifiers you got there :) thanks for sharing the pictures, schematics look very simple, just what I need for a starter amplifier and with no negative feedback :p

Anyone know more about rectification?
@Eli Duttman wrote that I could get slight more bass from using diode's instead of tube.
Is there more I should know about this? i'm not sure yet whether I should go for silicon or tube rectifier.

@TheGimp, I'm going to drive Bowers & Wilkins CM7 loudspeakers I just like to have some overkill in the amplifier.
I'm not listening loud, and lots of music styles so I want an amplifier that is not limited since i'm going to build it why not have some power reserve :)

The pp are now playing for about 6 month and are not tube rec anymore, I use solid state diodes and like it better, as for the amp underneath its indeed the abdellah design. I don't have the SE kt88 anymore it found a new home.
The difference in sounds between the two amps to me is that the SE have a slight mellower sounds, the PP just rocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.