mass loading vs hf response ......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fair enough in theory.

In theory a 4" cone can only go up to about 3400hz before output drops. Of course, we know this isn't true. Mostly due to the cone not being a theoretical , perfect piston. The cone breaks up, different sections behave differently at different frequencies, the dustcap can have a pronounced effect on the high frquency response depending on it's shape and make.

Adding mass to a full range driver will certainly change the behaviour of the cone and it's break up nodes. Depending on how the mass is added , the change in frequency response could be subtle or drastic.

If I had a 4" driver and added enough clay, putty, silicone, glue, or whatever all over the surface of the cone, to reduce the drivers Fs from 80hz to 50hz , do you think the mid and high frequency response would be the same as a stock driver (just reduced in spl) ?

.......................Blake

I skimmed the French paper, and assume when they discuss fullranges they are including whizzer cones. Those would be separate from a cone-they are making their own kind of acoustic.

There is absolutely a moving mass rolloff...in horn systems (per D.B. Keele). I can't say it applies for sure otherwise, although it seems like it should.

And in real life, whatever goop you put on to drop the resonance a lot will probably absorb HF energy and cause more rolloff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.